Previous | Return to the Episode Guide | NextDownload the Promo | Read the Review | Read the Parody
Episode Title: 'Unexpected'
Episode Number: 105
Synopsis: "When Tucker is dispatched to assist an alien ship with its power source problems, he is delighted to have a friendly encounter with one of the ship's female engineers. But after discovering that their special moment has resulted in his becoming pregnant, he realizes he's had an unwitting experience with alien sex. Now it's up to the Archer and the crew to return the rapidly growing alien baby to its mother."
Original Airdate: October 17, 2001Credits
Rerun: December 19, 2001
Fan Rating: 7.1/10 (Full Poll Results)
Nielsens Rating: 5.2/8 (Full Report)
Written By: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga
Directed By: Mike Vejar
- TV Guide Description: "After discovering the presence of a damaged alien vessel, Archer dispatches Trip to its aid, but the engineer's encounter with a Xyrillian female has an unexpected side effect."
- Features the first mention of advanced holo-technology.
- Charlie Tucker experiences the first human male pregnancy in this episode. Connor Trinneer described the episode as "very funny." (August 20, 2001 - TrekToday)
- Rumoured to feature the Enterprise finding a small alien ship hiding in its exhaust wake, trying to recharge their ship's engines. When Tucker beams over, he manages to repair their ship, but unwittingly becomes pregnant in the process! When the Enterprise tracks down the ship again, they find it in the slipstream of a Klingon ship, the captain of which is not at all eager to help. "Very funny episode." (August 21, 2001 - TrekToday)
- Connor Trinneer: "I don't know how much I'm allowed to tell you. I get pregnant, but it's not like I get impregnated. It's an accident. This alien and I put our hands in this granule things and read each other's minds and the next thing you know I've got nipples coming out of my arm." (September 02, 2001 - TrekToday)
- Behind-the-scenes clips of the production of this episode were shown at Zap2It. These also revealed the first dialogue from the episode. (September 22, 2001 - TrekToday)
- Julianne Christie previously appeared as Neelix' love interest, the Talaxian Drexa in the Voyager episode 'Homestead.' (October 02, 2001 - TrekToday)
- Connor Trinneer: "In grad school, in drama school, they force you to take risks. Hell, I was already pregnant, and that didn't bother me one bit. What a great opportunity that was, and that's how I looked at it. I might have felt differently had I never been to drama school." (February 06, 2002 - TrekToday)
How would you grade 'Unexpected'?
33.5% - (753
24.3% - (548
17% - (382
Wasn't able to see it||
12.5% - (282
6.5% - (148
3.8% - (86
Didn't want to see it||
2.1% - (48
Total Votes: 2247