Previous | Return to the Episode Guide | NextDownload the Promo | Read the Review
Episode Title: 'The Expanse'
Episode Number: 226
Synopsis: "In the season finale, Earth is savagely attacked by a mysterious alien probe that leaves millions of people killed. When Archer learns that the culprit species is planning to destroy the entire planet with their next assault, Enterprise embarks on a new mission into the dangerous and highly mysterious Delphic Expanse to put a stop to it. Although T'Pol is given a direct order from the Vulcan High Command not to participate in this mission, she resigns her post in order to continue with Enterprise. Meanwhile, the Klingons, who are bent on destroying Archer, continue their hot pursuit of Enterprise all the way into the expanse."
Original Airdate: May 21, 2003Credits
Rerun: September 03, 2003
Fan Rating: 8.5/10 (Full Poll Results)
Nielsens Rating: 2.8/4 (Full Report)
Written By: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga
Directed By: Allan Kroeker
- Will air in a double-bill with "Bounty" on May 21. ["Bounty" later rescheduled to May 14.] (March 12, 2003 - TrekToday)
- Reportedly features the continuation of the Klingon story arc from "Judgment" and "Bounty", with the Klingon Chancellor offering Duras a chance to reclaim his honour by capturing Captain Archer. Meanwhile, the NX-01 is recalled to Earth, after a massive attack on the home planet. (March 20, 2003 - TrekToday)
- Rumoured to include a romantic interest for Jonathan Archer. (March 20, 2003 - TrekToday)
- Rick Berman: "I think our final episode of the season is going to be quite startling because we're going to do a cliffhanger that will put a new twist on the series as it enters its third year. I don't really want to get specific about it, but we're not talking about a tiny change. We're talking about a change that is going to, to some degree, alter our mission and, to some degree, change the tone of the series. We're very excited by it. This idea will be introduced partially in the final episode of this season and then more dramatically dealt with in the opener next season." (March 22, 2003 - TrekToday)
- According to DreamWatch magazine, the NX-01 will enter "dangerous area of space" against the advice of the Vulcans to stop "a new alien race from wiping out life on Earth". (April 03, 2003 - TrekToday)
- Filming concluded on April 8 after an 8-day shoot. Sets included the Klingon Council Chamber, a Starfleet Hanger and Silik's "Temporal Chamber". Shooting also took place on the Paramount backlot, which stood in for Chinatown and Starfleet Headquarters in San Francisco. (April 10, 2003 - TrekToday)
- Rick Berman: "It's not so much a cliffhanger as it is a tantalising taste of what next season will bring. Next season will deal with Enterprise being sent on a mission that may last many episodes, but it's not going to be a serialised arc." (April 15, 2003 - TrekToday)
- Rick Berman: "We're going to be dealing with some new, non-Starfleet people coming on the ship [who will] add a little muscle for the potentially violent situations our crew will be coming up against." (April 16, 2003 - TrekToday)
- The alien species who attack Earth are known as the Xindi. The Xindi have obtained information that Earth will destroy their home world centuries in the future, and have decided to strike first.
(May 02, 2003 - TrekToday)
- According to TV Guide, voyagers who enter the Delphic Expanse "meet a shocking and grisly fate": "Their bodies become anatomically inverted (skin on the inside, organs on the outside), yet they somehow remain alive."
(May 02, 2003 - TrekToday)
How would you rate 'The Expanse'?
56.8% - (811
21.6% - (309
Wasn't able to see it||
9.1% - (131
5.6% - (81
Didn't want to see it||
3.1% - (45
2.2% - (32
1.2% - (18
Total Votes: 1427