Site ColumnsBy Caillan
August 28, 2002 - 4:02 PM
If anyone's watching the Pan-Pacific Swimming Championships, I don't suppose you could tell me what the green mascot represents? So far I've come up with a grape, a green M&M, or a giant gooseberry.
One of the most absurd Olympic mascots was Izzy, who was the guardian angel of the Atlanta Games. Rather embarrassingly, I used to own a t-shirt which had him emblazoned over the front. Fortunately, that was also my last Olympic mascot-related purchase.
However, even Izzy pales in comparison to Albertville's Snow Imp. I kid you not. Personally, I'd take Fatso the fat-arsed wombat any day.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Do you think TNG should have used different styles of music?
- What do you think of Jeri Ryan's (Seven of Nine) role on 'Boston Public'?
- Will T'Pau eventually appear on Enterprise?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news items on August 27 & 28, 2000:
- Voyager Loses In All Emmy Categories
Despite receiving seven Emmy nominations, Voyager failed to take home any gongs on the night. The series had been nominated for Costumes, Hairstyling, Makeup, Music Composition, Sound Editing and twice for Special Visual Effects.
- Hans Beimler On 'The District'
Former DS9 writer-producer Hans Beimler joined the new CBS police series The District as co-executive producer. During his Trek tenure, Beimler contributed to episodes such as 'Trials and Tribble-ations,' 'The Ship,' 'A Time To Stand,' and the DS9 finale, 'What You Leave Behind.'
More news items can be found in the archives.
Today is the 49th birthday of Gates McFadden, who played Doctor Beverly Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Today's Television Listings
- At 8:00pm (7:00pm Central), UPN will be showing the Enterprise episode 'Fallen Hero.' Here's how the official site describes the episode:
When a Vulcan ambassador is accused of secretive criminal misconduct, Enterprise is asked to transport her back to the Vulcans. Following an attack by a corrupt alien race, T'Pol defends the Ambassador and, for the first time, asks Archer for his help. Meanwhile, after the Vulcan diplomat boards the Enterprise, alien weapons begin firing from hostile ships, putting everyone's lives at risk.An hour later 'Desert Crossing' will be shown.
When Archer and Trip are invited to a desert-like planet by an alien leader after they help fix his ship, they discover he is a terrorist who has lured them onto his planet under false pretenses. Meanwhile, T'Pol, while in command, faces a tough decision when she cannot locate Archer and Trip in the desert.
More iformation about both episodes can be found in the TrekToday episode guide.
- TNN will be showing the Next Generation episodes 'Q Who?' at 8:00 p.m Eastern Time, with 'Sins of the Father' at 11:00 p.m.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'Assignment: Earth' at 6:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'Spectre of the Gun' at 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m Eastner Time, with TNG's 'Booby Trap' at 3:00 p.m, DS9's 'The Dogs of War' at 4:00 p.m, Voyager's 'Faces' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show DS9's 'Dax' at 6:00 GMT, with TNG's 'Unnatural Selection' at 17:00. E4 will show the Original Series' 'A Taste of Armageddon' at 14:00, while Channel Four will show Enterprise's 'Fortunate Son' at 18:00. At 18:45, BBC 2 will show TNG's 'Up the Long Ladder.' Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'Samaritan Snare' at 8:00pm Eastern Time and TNG's 'Allegiance' at 11:00pm.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'Spock's Brain' at 6:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'The Cloud Minders' at 10:00am Eastern Time, 'Day Of The Dove' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'The Enemy' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'What You Leave Behind, Part I' at 4:00pm, and Voyager's 'Jetrel' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'The Passenger' at 06:00 GMT, E4 will be showing the Original Series's 'This Side of Paradise' at 14:00, and Sky One will be showing TNG's 'A Matter of Honor' at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Yorin will be showing 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home' at 21:30 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing TNG's 'Suddenly Human' at 23:50. Thanks go out to Sci-Fi TV Schedules International!