Site ColumnsBy Caillan
May 27, 2002 - 12:04 PM
I hate being late. I'm one of those people who has their watch set four minutes fast so they'll never be late. Which is why I didn't have a very good start to the day.
Firstly, the car wouldn't start. It had been playing up for the last week, but it was supposedly fixed over the weekend. Well, it certainly wasn't going anywhere this morning. Waited for the RACQ man for 45 minutes, but he didn't turn up, and so I went off to the railway station, abandoning my parents with the car. (Good thing I did too, it apparently "almost blew up" when the RACQ man arrived).
So, I rushed to the train station to get on a train that will get me into the city just in time, and, of course, it's late. To make matters worse, only two carriages were open, meaning it was packed like a sardine can. Since the train kept stopping and starting, I got off early, dashed across the bridge into the city, and hopped on the bus.
As the bus left 25 minutes before Latin started, I thought I'd get there with time to spare. But I did not account for the Brisbane City Council once again deciding to dig up the road. Suffice it to say, the traffic was as slow as molasses.
Finally, I got to uni, sprinted up 7 flights of stairs, and arrived 3 minutes before the start of class. The car is currently at the garage - I'll be sure to thrash it with a branch for its incompetence when it comes back.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Why did the Maquis wear bars on Voyager?
- What is your favourite 'levity amid the drama' moment from the Original Series?
- Are 2002's book releases overrated?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news items on May 27, 2000:
- Introducing Ms Andromeda Ascendant
In his latest interview with Space.com, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda developer Robert Hewitt Wolfe talked about the sentient starship, played by Lexa Doig.
She has several different modes when she interacts with the crew. One with basically her face on screen. One as a hologram, semi-transparent standing in various places around the ship. And then there's also Andromeda androids which do not look like Lexa, but have Lexa's voice. There's the voice of the ship itself, which is again Lexa's voice.
- Fed Con News Bits
At the Fed Con 8 convention in Germany, both Brent Spiner (Data) and Michael Dorn (Worf) revealed they would be willing to appear in a tenth Trek feature film. Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) let slip that Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) would be marrying TNG and Voyager producer Wendy Neuss in August 2000.
More news can be found in the archives.
Today's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing the Next Generation episode 'Code of Honor' at 11:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episodes 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' at 7:00 a.m Eastern Time, with 'Wolf in the Fold' at 8:00 a.m, 'The Conscience of the King' at 9:00 a.m, 'A Private Little War' at 10:00 a.m, 'The Trouble With Tribbles' at 11:00 a.m, 'The Omega Glory' at 12:00 p.m, 'Errand of Mercy' at 1:00 p.m, 'Shore Leave' at 2:00 p.m, 'The Savage Curtain' at 3:00 p.m, 'The Ultimate Computer' at 4:00 p.m, 'Is There In Truth No Beauty?' at 5:00 p.m, 'The Enterprise Incident' at 6:00 p.m, 'Tomorrow Is Yesterday' at 7:00 p.m, 'The Menagerie, Part I' at 8:00 p.m and 'The Menagerie, Part II' at 9:00 p.m.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'The Corbomite Maneuver' at 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m, TNG's 'Sub Rosa' at 3:00 p.m, DS9's 'Rapture' at 4:00 p.m, and Voyager's 'Warhead' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show the Next Generation episode 'Tapestry' at 16:00 GMT, Voyager's 'Tattoo' at 17:00 and Enterprise's 'Vox Sola' at 20:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'Interface' at 8:00pm Eastern Time and 'The Last Outpost' at 11:00pm.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield' at 6:00pm Eastern Time and 'Miri' at 7:00pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'The Menagerie, Part I' at 10:00am and 2:00pm Eastern Time, TNG's 'Lower Decks' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'The Darkness and the Light' at 4:00pm, and Voyager's 'Equinox, Part I' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Birthright, Part I' at 16:00 GMT and Voyager's 'Cold Fire' at 17:00. BBC2 will be showing Voyager's 'Workforce, Part II' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, V8 will be showing TNG's 'The Outcast' at 18:00 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!