Site ColumnsBy Caillan
October 23, 2002 - 2:39 PM
The continuing saga of Brisbane bookshops:
So I went into Border's yesterday to give it the once-over, and I was most impressed. It was spacious, airy (and not too much air-conditioning, which is one of my pet hates), and had several different levels. Not having much time before my train, I made straight for the History section, which was of a respectable size. There were four shelves devoted to Ancient History, and they even have the expensive Loeb Editions of the sources, which have the Latin or Greek on one side, and the English translation on the other.
Another one of my pet hates when it comes to sci-fi books is that most of the bookshops (ie: the suburban chains) always seem to stock part two or three of a series, but never the first. I didn't get a chance to check out the sci-fi section closely today (there were already three people standing there and I didn't want to turn it into a geek convention), but it did look well-stocked.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Which is lamer: Worf/Troi or Chakotay/Seven?
- How big is the entrance to the Bajoran wormhole?
- Which Trek series is the most thought-provoking?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
This was one of the major news items on October 23, 2000:
- Burton To Direct?
In an interview with Star Trek: The Magazine, LeVar Burton said he'd like to direct a Trek feature film - maybe even Trek X. In the end, helming duties went to 'Executive Decision' director Stuart Baird.
More news items can be found in the archives.
Today is the birthday of Deep Space Nine executive producer Ira Steven Behr.
Today's Television Listings
- At 8:00pm (7:00pm Central), UPN will be showing the Enterprise episode 'Shockwave, Part II'. Here's how the official site describes the episode:
In the continuation of season one's cliffhanger finale, Archer must find a way to get back to his own century, where the Enterprise crew battles the Suliban.
For more information on the episode, see the Trek Nation episode guide.
- TNN will be showing the Next Generation episode 'Reunion' at 8:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'The Tholian Web' at 6:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'The Return of the Archons' at 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m Eastern Time, with TNG's 'Identity Crisis' at 3:00 p.m, DS9's 'Shadowplay' at 4:00 p.m, and Voyager's 'Macrocosm' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, E4 will show the Original Series episode 'For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky.' at 14:00 GMT. Sky one will show TNG's 'Legacy' at 17:00. TNG's 'The Defector' will be shown on BBC 2 at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'Future Imperfect' at 8:00pm Eastern Time and TNG's 'Force of Nature' at 9:00pm.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'Plato's Stepchildren' at 6:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'Catspaw' at 10:00am Eastern Time, 'Space Seed' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'The Nth Degree' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'Playing God' at 4:00pm, and Voyager's 'Fair Trade' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'The Abandoned' at 06:00 GMT, E4 will be showing 'The Tholian Web' at 14:00, and Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Reunion' at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!