Site ColumnsBy Caillan
August 20, 2002 - 11:41 AM
I always love it when the Father's Day catalogues drop through the letterbox, because they contains some of the most ridiculous present ideas ever.
Here are just some of the items featured in the ones that arrived today: vaccuum flasks (20% off too), a park bench (at the Hot Price of $69), a garden trimmer, and car cleaning products. I'm always puzzled by people who give presents that imply work - my mother would dismember me if I ever gave her a vaccuum cleaner, kettle, muffin maker, or toaster.
My favourite present from the current batch is the watch and tool gift set for $19.99. It contains a bulky watch and an instrument that looks like a combination between pliers and a pair of compasses. As wonderful as these choices are, you'll still probably find me at the bookstore the day before.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- What improvements should be made on the Director's Cut of 'Star Trek V: The Final Frontier'?
- Which series would you like to see featured in 'Elite Force III'?
- What do the crew talk about after going to warp?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the news items on August 19 & 20, 2000:
- 'Inside Man' Guest Cast Info
Paramount Pictures released the official guest cast listings for the upcoming episode 'Inside Man,' confirming the return of two TNG favourites - Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi and Dwight Schultz as Barclay.
- Site Columns
Christian made himself "an easy target for public ridicule." Find out why here.
More news items can be found in the archives.
Three birthdays were missed yesterday:
- August 19 would have been the 81st birthday of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry, had he not sadly passed away in 1991.
- Actor-director Jonathan Frakes, best known as William Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation, turned 50.
- Yesterday was also the 64th birthday of Diana Muldaur, who played three Trek doctors - Dr. Katherine Pulaski in The Next Generation's second season, Dr. Miranda Jones in the Original Series's 'Is There In Truth No Beauty?' and Dr. Ann Mulhall in the Original Series's 'Return to Tomorrow.'
Today's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing the Next Generation episodes 'The Dauphin' at 8:00 p.m Eastern Time, with 'The Hunted' at 11:00 p.m.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'Return to Tomorrow' at 6:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'Assignment: Earth' at 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m Eastern Time, with TNG's 'Shades of Gray' at 3:00 p.m, DS9's 'Til Death Do Us Part' at 4:00 p.m and Voyager's 'Ex Post Facto' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, E4 will show the Original Series episode 'The Squire of Gothos' at 14:00 GMT, while Sky One will show TNG's 'The Neutral Zone' at 17:00. BBC2 will show Voyager's 'Endgame (Part 1 of 2)' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- At 8:00pm (7:00pm Central), UPN will be showing Enterprise's 'Detained. Here's how the official site describes the episode:
"While exploring a planet, Archer and Mayweather enter a "military zone" and are detained in an internment prison by an alien race called Tandarans, who are at war with the Suliban. While the Enterprise crew's previous encounters with the Suliban have been disastrous, Archer and Mayweather find themselves sharing a cell with some Suliban detainees who they believe may be wrongly imprisoned."
'Detained' will be followed by 'Vox Sola' at 9:00pm Eastern Time.
"A strange, symbiotic alien creature boards the Enterprise capturing a few of the crew members, including Archer and Trip, and cocoons them in its web feeding off their bodies to survive. With the captured crewmembers' lives in jeopardy, Hoshi, under T'Pol's command, faces her biggest challenge by trying to find a way to communicate with the lifeform in order to return it to its home planet."
Further information can be found in the Trek Nation episode guide.
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'Contagion' at 8:00pm Eastern Time and 'The High Ground' at 11:00pm.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'Patterns of Force' at 6:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield' at 10:00am Eastern Time, 'Spock's Brain' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'Evolution' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'Strange Bedfellows' at 4:00pm, and Voyager's 'Emanations' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, E4 will be showing the Original Series's 'Arena' at 14:00 GMT, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'The Child' at 17:00, Channel 4 will be showing Enterprise's 'Civilisation' at 18:00, and Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Samaritan Snare' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing the Original Series's 'Turnabout Intruder' at 23:50. Thanks go out to Sci-Fi TV Schedules International!