Site ColumnsBy Caillan
June 17, 2002 - 10:56 AM
Well, it's World Cup time again, and invariably I end up falling out of the conversational loop because where soccer/football is concerned, my apathy knows no bounds.
I remember four years ago, last time the event came around, I was on a mini-cricket tour with my school in England. (Alas, I had not suddenly developed hand-eye coordination; I was the scorer). We were staying at this other boarding school the night before the match, and of course, it was that very night a big match was on between England and some other country.
Of course, it was naturally assumed that I, being male, wanted nothing better to watch an inflatable ball being kicked around on the turf. We all squeezed into a cramped, small room filled with about forty raucous teenage boys for two hours - by the time the game was over I thought I was either going to die of boredom or suffocation.
Being a guest, I was naturally allowed a prized spot on the one couch in the room, where I sat, trying desperately to blend into the surroundings and praying for dear life that no one would try and talk to me about football. (My cricket knowledge wasn't much better, I'll admit, but it was better to be a scorer than stand in the firing line of hard red balls with only a plank of wood to defend myself.)
Everything got worse the next day when they were a man down and there was talking of me having to play (desperate times call for desperate measures), but thankfully they found someone else and I was able to sit in the scorer's box safe from any flying balls.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- What's the most money you have spent on a Trek product?
- Do you miss 70s Spockanalia?
- Should there be an Enterprise episode focusing on Admiral Forrest?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news items on Monday 17, 2000:
- 'Voyager' Back In Production
It was announced that the Voyager cast and crew had returned to the Paramount lot to shoot the show's seventh and final season. The first episode to be filmed was the season premiere, 'Unimatrix Zero, Part II,' which featured Kate Mulgrew (Kathryn Janeway), Tim Russ (Tuvok), and Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres) in heavy makeup as assimilated Borg.
- Frakes Talks Trek In Online Chat
TNG actor Jonathan Frakes (Will Riker) was asked in an Internet chat whether he would be part of the tenth Trek feature film. "If asked, I'll be there in any capacity they'll have me," he said. "Star Trek 10, from what I hear, is still in development stage. Although I think we're all hoping to have another chapter of our franchise by x-mas of 2001."
- The Voyager Conspiracy
This is the first article I ever wrote for the Trek Nation, published two years ago today. Run for your lives!
More news can be found in the archives.
Today's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing the Next Generation episodes 'Masks' at 8:00 p.m Eastern Time with 'Home Soil' at 11:00 p.m.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'The Enemy Within' at 6:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'Menagerie - Part 1' at 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m Eastern Time, with TNG's 'The Naked Now' at 3:00 p.m, DS9's 'In the Cards' at 4:00 p.m, and Voyager's 'Memorial' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show the TNG episode 'Gambit Part 1' at 16:00 GMT, with Voyager's 'Favourite Son' at 17:00. The Enterprise episode 'Two Days and Two Nights' will be shown at 20:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'Eye of the Beholder' at 8:00pm Eastern Time, and 'Star Trek V: The Final Frontier' at 9:00pm.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'Mudd's Women' at 6:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'Errand of Mercy' at 10:00am Eastern Time, 'The Menagerie, Part II' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'Code of Honour' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'A Call to Arms' at 4:00pm, and Voyager's 'Tsunkatse' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Gambit, Part II' at 16:00 GMT and Voyager's 'Before and After' at 17:00. BBC2 will be showing Voyager's 'Author, Author' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, V8 will be showing TNG's 'True Q' at 18:00 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!