Episode Title: 'Civilization'
Episode Number: 109
Synopsis: "Captain Archer and the crew discover a fully inhabited, civilized though less advanced Earth-like planet. Disguised to look like its inhabitants, they pay the planet an exploratory visit where they learn that a pernicious illness is afflicting the local population. As Archer seeks to help them find the malady's source, he finds himself in a close encounter with a comely female alien."
Written By: Phyllis Strong & Michael Sussman
Directed By: Mike Vejar
- TV Guide Description: "Disguised as locals, Archer and his expedition explore a civilization bedeviled by a virulent ailment possibly linked to a covert - and anomalous - nuclear reactor. Determined to find the truth, the captain teams up with a local apothecary, leading to a close encounter between the two."
- Riann was originally rumoured to be named Tyala. (September 04, 2001 - TrekToday)
- Rumoured to feature the Enterprise discovering a planet with a technological level comparable to that of late-19th century Earth. When a surgically-altered away team goes to the planet to study its culture, they are drawn into a deadly mystery that has already cost the lives of several locals. (September 30, 2001 - TrekToday)
- Connor Trinneer: "We wind up discovering a planet called a Minshara-Class planet that can sustain life. It's similar to Earth, so we have an atmosphere that we don't have to wear our EV suits on. We go down there to find out what's going on with the natives. We also learn that there's a Starfleet code that states that unless the natives have a certain level of technology, we shouldn't contact them, because it might upset their natural development. We go down there and discover that they're pre-Colonial. They really don't have any technology beyond what you'd have in the late 19th Century - clipper ships, that sort of stuff. But then we discover that somebody down there has technology that is equal to ours, and we check that out." (September 30, 2001 - TrekToday)
- This episode was first repeated on the 6th of March, 2001.
- Michelle Erica Green - The Trek Nation
- Colin 'Zeke' Hayman - Fiver (Parody)
- Hercules - Aint it Cool News - 2/5
- Richard Whettestone - FirstTVDrama
- Monkee - Monkee's Place - 7.5/10
- Tim Lynch - Psi Phi - 7/10
- Wierd Archives - ScoopMe
- 'Q' - Section 31 - 8/10
- David E. Sluss - The Cynics Corner - 8/10
- C.A. Voigts - The Starfleet Library - 4/5
- Captain Mac - Trek 5 - 4/5
- Steve Perry - TrekWeb
How would you grade 'Civilization'?
37.8% - (643
22.2% - (378
17.4% - (296
Wasn't able to see it
12.8% - (218
5.1% - (88
2.4% - (41
Didn't want to see it
2% - (34
Read the Review
Read the Parody