Breaking the Ice
Episode Title: 'Breaking the Ice'
Episode Number: 108
Synopsis: "Trip learns that T'Pol is transmitting secret messages to a Vulcan ship, which has been shadowing Enterprise for weeks. Meanwhile, Archer must attempt a dangerous rescue to recover two crewman stranded on a rapidly disintegrating comet."
Written By: Maria & Andre Jacquemetton
Directed By: Terry Windell
- William Utay as Vanik
- TV Guide Description: "A Vulcan starship interferes with Archer's probe of an oversize comet in a smartly-scripted episode that highlights T'Pol's private turmoil. Early episodes have emphasized the tensions between humans and Vulcans, and no series character embodies that strife more than the icy T'Pol. Here, circumstances force a character thaw when Trip becomes privy to the content of coded - and personal - messages sent by T'Pol to the Vulcan vessel Ti'Mir. Ti'Mir's captain, meanwhile, is less than communicative with the suspicious Archer, who must swallow his pride when an emergency arises."
- This episode deals with T'Pol's betrothal.
- Jolene Blalock: "Yeah, she's betrothed. And she's dealing with what to do, because obviously you can't have a relationship, emotional or not, in any species, and have a position on a starship. And that's the dilemma. She has to deal with that. Is the marriage going to be postponed, is T'Pol going to work it out, is she going to stay on the ship or what?" (September 17, 2001 - TrekToday)
- Andre Bormanis on the comet plotline: "We went out of our way to get the science right in this week's episode, and it really helped the story." (November 07, 2001 - TrekToday)
- This episode was first repeated on the 20th of February, 2001.
- Michelle Erica Green - The Trek Nation
- Colin 'Zeke' Hayman - Fiver (Parody)
- Hercules - Aint It Cool News - 3.5/5
- David E. Sluss - Cynic's Corner - 7.5
- Richard Whettestone - First TV Drama
- Monkee - Monkee's Place - 9/10
- Tim Lynch - Psi Phi - 5
- Matthew R. Heitzer - ScoopMe
- Bonnie Malmat - Section 31 - 7/10
- Jacqueline Bundy - The Trekker Newsletter - 9/10
- Matt D. - Trek 5 - 2/5
- Steve Perry - TrekWeb
How would you grade 'Breaking the Ice'?
38.4% - (895
33.7% - (785
Wasn't able to see it
11.9% - (278
9.7% - (226
2.5% - (60
Didn't want to see it
1.8% - (44
1.7% - (41
Read the Review
Read the Parody