Site ColumnsBy Christian
March 27, 2001 - 2:00 PM
As you will probably have noticed, each TrekToday news item now features a new banner advertising a variety of Trek products, from photos to posters to DVDs.
The reason we added the banners is of course to get a bit more revenue. Bandwidth costs exploded since the Series V reports, and the sites will be moving to a new, more advanced server next month, which also won't be cheap. Combined with the current not-too-perfect state of the online ad industry, some extra revenue from these affiliate programs will be very important to keep the sites alive.
Of course, I do realise that adding these banners to the site increases loading times. I tried to minimise their file sizes as much as possible, but they're still all between 8kb and 11kb. In order to compensate for that, however, I removed the SlipstreamWeb banner at the top-right, as well as the Links menu banner. In total, this got rid of 8kb worth of images, so the end result is that the TrekToday front page is now 8kb smaller, while the actual news pages are between 0 and 3kb larger.
I do hope you'll like the banners - they're at least related to Trek, so maybe they actually add something to the site. Of course, I'm also really hoping you'll actually buy some of the products advertised on those banners - that would certainly be highly appreciated. If you have any suggestions for other products we could advertise there, please let me know.
And finally, let me also note that if you'd actually like to buy advertising space on the site, please let me know as well and we could discuss what kind of advertising and at what price you'd like to buy!
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-Could you have a Star Trek series that didn't focus on Starfleet?
-Would Star Trek V: The Final Frontier benefti from a Director's Cut?>
-And in Science Fiction & Fantasy: Can you see a remake of 'Battlestar Galactica'?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Below are some of the most important headlines that appeared on TrekToday on Saturday the 27th of March, 1999:
- Ronald D. Moore Returns - After an absence of two months, DS9 Ron Moore again answered questions on his AOL forum. He announced that on Monday the 29th of March, filming for the finale would begin, and that he had just finished watching the last few dailies of 'The Dogs of War', his final DS9 episode.
- 'Bring Back Kirk' Campaign Launched - Before 'Excelsior' or DS9 Horizons began, a campaign launched to persuade Paramount to bring Captain James T. Kirk back in a new movie, in order to give him a better send-off than the one he had in 'Generations'. The campaign's web site is still online, and will in fact be showing their trailer at Creation conventions.
Today is the 17th birthday of Jon Paul Steuer, who was the first actor to play Worf's son Alexander, in the TNG episode 'Reunion'.
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the original series episode 'That Which Survives' at 5pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Heroes and Demons' at 4am, DS9's 'Only a Paper Moon' at 5am, the original series episode, 'Is There In Truth No Beauty' at 10am (repeat at 4pm), TNG's 'All Good Things Pt.1' at 12pm, DS9's 'Prodigal Daughter' at 5pm and Voyager's 'Cathexis' at 10pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky Premiere 2 wil show 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' at 10:00 (repeat at 17:00) while Sky One will show DS9's 'Nor the Battle to the Strong' at 17:00 (repeat at 00:10) and BBC2 will show Voyager's 'Resolutions' at 18:50. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica wil show DS9's 'Business as Usual' at 17:15 while NET5 will air Voyager's 'Projections' at 18:35. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing a TOS mini-marathon, beginning at 11:00am Eastern Time with 'The Way To Eden' and ending at 3:00pm with 'Plato's Stepchildren'. At 5:00pm, they will also be showing their regular TOS episode, 'The Lights of Zetar'.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Cathexis' at 4:00am Eastern Time, DS9's 'Prodigal Daughter' at 5:00am, the Original Series' 'Spectre of the Gun' at 10:00am, TNG's 'All Good Things, Part Two' at 12:00pm, 'The Spectre of the Gun' again at 4:00pm, DS9's 'The Emperor's New Cloak' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Faces' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'The Assignment' at 17:00 and at 00:30, while BBC Two will be showing DS9's 'Treachery, Faith and the Great River' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'Ties of Blood and Water' at 17:15 CET, while Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Elogium' at 18:40. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, Channel 9 will be showing DS9's 'Waltz' at 12:00am. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule