Site ColumnsBy Lisa
October 25, 2002 - 12:19 AM
Last night I went downstairs to feed the dog. As you do. I flicked on the kitchen light switch and one of the lightbulbs in the light fitting exploded, scattering glass all over the kitchen. I sighed and cleaned up the mess, and then opened the fridge to take out the dog food. And everything went black.
No, nothing quite so dramatic as me fainting. The electricity for the whole estate appeared to be down. No streetlights, so everything was totally dark.
I sighed and felt under the sink for the torch that is kept there for just such emergencies. I turned it on, only to find that the batteries had gone. Typical.
I made my way to the front room, tripping over slippers, DVD cases and dogs on the way, and switched on the gas fire, resulting in a little light. The dog and I curled up on a chair by the window, waiting for any signs of life in the outside world. After about half an hour, we realised that this was not going to be a simple on/off power outage.
These things should not happen in 21st century urban northern England. I am a girl of the modern era, I do not cope without acccess to modern devices. I start to itch without hot coffee being readily available.
All in all, the power was off for about two hours. The net result of this strange happeneing was twofold. Firstly, the central heating timer was messed up, so the house was bloody freezing when I had to roll out of bed this morning. And secondly I ended up finishing reading Henry IV, Part One by candlelight; a process which has been pointed out to me, was very Adrian Mole. Eugh.
No power cuts tonight, touch wood. It better stay that way.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-Why doesn't the Federation ever win a war?
-Which Trek fan universe do you inhabit?
-Which Trek Colletables will be on your Christmas list?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Today's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'Future Imperfect' at 8:00pm Eastern Time and TNG's 'Force of Nature' at 9:00pm.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'Plato's Stepchildren' at 6:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'Catspaw' at 10:00am Eastern Time, 'Space Seed' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'The Nth Degree' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'Playing God' at 4:00pm, and Voyager's 'Fair Trade' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'The Abandoned' at 06:00 GMT, E4 will be showing 'The Tholian Web' at 14:00, and Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Reunion' at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing the Next Generation episode 'Final Mission' at 8:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original SEries episode 'A Taste of Armageddon' at 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m Eastern Time, with TNG's 'Qpid' at 3:00 p.m, DS9's 'Profit and Loss' at 4:00 p.m and Voyager's 'Alter Ego' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, E4 will show the Original Series episode 'Plato's Stepchildren' at 14:00 GMT. Sky One will show TNG's 'Future Imperfect' at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!