Site ColumnsBy Lisa
August 15, 2002 - 10:08 PM
Is anyone else sick of spam?
On average, around half to three quarters of all the email I get every day is spam. Its email I didn't ask for, that's trying to get me to buy or look at something I don't want. It's really demoralising to get that much in your inbox. I'm sure many of you will relate.
Recently I decided enough was enough, and that I should do something about it. I use Outlook, which isn't the smartest email program to use, I know, but I'm just addicted and can't find anything else with the same amount of features and that I like. But it did mean that a wide variety of plugins and stuff were available to use.
So far I've tried three separate programs to kill spam. Not including Outlook's own junk mail filtering. I found a HUGE problem with all these. People started asking me if I'd received mail they'd sent, and that never reached me. Playing with the custom settings also meant that more spam got let through.
Then yesterday, I discovered SpamNet. This handy Outlook plug in works on a sort of peer-to-peer basis, by tagging spam based on reports from other users. And, at least in my experience so far, it works.
It doesn't delete mail straight from the mail server, but moves spam into a separate folder, so you can check up on its observations. And apparently, the more people who sign up and help tag spam, the more accurate the system will get. I know I'm really impressed. This one will be a keeper.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-Would a musical Star Trek movie work?
-Is Enterprise's Maywether like TNG's LaForge?
-Revisit Voyager's 'Renaissance Man'.
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Today's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'Unnatural Selection' at 8:00pm Eastern Time and 'The Vengeance Factor' at 11:00pm.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'A Piece of the Action' at 6:00pm Eastern Time and 'Mirror, Mirror' at 7:00pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'Wink of an Eye' at 10:00am Eastern Time, 'The Omega Glory' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'Manhunt' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'Badda-Bing Badda-Bang' at 4:00pm and Voyager's 'Phage' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, E4 will be showing the Original Series's 'Balance of Terror' at 14:00 GMT and Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Symbiosis' at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Yorin will be showing 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan' at 21:35. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing the Original Series's 'The Cloud Minders' at 23:50. Thanks go out to Sci-Fi TV Schedules International!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing the Next Generation episodes 'A Matter of Honor' at 8:00 p.m Eastern Time, with 'The Defector' at 11:00 p.m.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'The Ultimate Computer' at 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m Eastern Time, with TNG's 'The Emissary' at 3:00 p.m, DS9's 'Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges' at 4:00 p.m and Voyager's 'The Cloud' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, E4 will show the Original Series episode 'Shore Leave' at 14:00 GMT. Sky One will show TNG's 'Skin of Evil' at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!