Site ColumnsBy Amy
March 15, 2001 - 4:59 PM
Continuing with my semi-theme for this column on nostalgia for late 80’s and early 90’s of my childhood, ‘He-Man’, anyone?
Dropping by IGN Sci-Fi as I am prone to do with their similar interest in all things bad and 80-ish, I allowed myself to be waylaid by an article on some of the new toys being produced - among them being 10 replica action-figures from ‘He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.’ It brought it all back. From the famous: “By the power of Greyskull” and “I have the power!” to She-ra. Corny 80’s cartoons created to sell action figures. Gotta love ‘em. Incidentally, I believe Voyager’s own Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris) appeared in the live-action big scree version of the cartoon.
Back with that site I dropped by today - I do so love their ‘Movies So Bad You Shouldn't Watch Them Sober’ column – and I’ve got a couple to add to their list. One that springs to mind is a really bloody awful movie called ‘Hawk the Slayer’ from around 1985 – as you can see, I’m still keeping with the 80’s theme today. It’s fantasy, and while the plot itself is something you could conceivably find in a fantasy novel, the acting and directing are so bad it’s almost an art form. I and my flatmate both had the misfortune of watching it dead sober. I think it would be completely enjoyable if you were tanked – and very probably completely drop-dead hilarious – but the only reason we saw the entire thing was that we couldn’t believe it could get any worse once things got to a certain point – but it did. It was so bad it *wasn’t* funny. Though, if you do ever have the abject misfortune of watching it, keep an eye out for the magically re-loading cross-bow. It’s a real hoot. And if the seer chick seems familiar, it’s because it’s Magenta from Rocky Horror.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Two years ago today, Monday the 15th of March, these were some of the Trek Today headlines:
- More Final Chapter Info: The Great Link posted news of some guest appearances for two DS9 final chapter episodes, 'Tacking Into The Wind', and 'Night Tremors.
- Unreliable Rumours Department: The then Trekzone Network's own Saleel Majeed, here is this week's Star Trek teletext page from British stations Sky One and Channel 5 declaring that the Enterprise was set to appear on Deep Space Nine.
Below are the results of the most recent TrekToday poll:
Thanks go out to everyone who participated! In our latest poll, we ask if you'd like to see that often forgotten Star Trek series, the Animated Series, re-released on DVD or Video.,
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the original series episode 'For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky' at 5pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Time and Again' at 4am, DS9's 'Shadows and Symbols' at 5am, Original Series episode 'Private Little War' at 10am (repeat at 4pm), TNG's 'Homeward' at 12pm, DS9's 'After Image' at 5pm and Voyager's 'Phage' at 10pm.
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'Rapture' at 17:15 while NET5 will screen Voyager's 'State of Flux' at 18:40Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, pay-tv channel TV 1 will screen Deep Space Nine's 'Progress' at 11pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the original series episode, 'The Tholian Web' at 5pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Phage' at 4am, DS9's 'After Image' at 5am, TOS's 'Return to Tomorrow' at 10am (repeat at 4pm), TNG's 'Sub Rosa' at 12pm, DS9's 'Take Me Out to the Holosuite' at 5pm and Voyager's 'The Cloud' at 10pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'Hard Time' at 17:00 (repeat at 02:00). Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing Voyager's 'Kollektiv' (Collective) at 20:15.
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'The Darkness and the Light' at 17:15, while NET5 will screen Voyager's 'Heroes And Demons' at 18:40. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, Pay TV channel TV1 will show DS9's ' Progress' at 7:30pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule