Site ColumnsBy Caillan
March 7, 2003 - 10:03 AM
I prepared a little piece on CSI and Trek connections for the CSI Files announcement, but we forgot to use it. So rather than letting my hours of slavish research go to waste, I decided to post it here. This list is by no means exhaustive (especially in the guest star section), but it should cover most big Trek names who have been associated with CSI in one way or another.
CSI Regulars With Trek Connections
- Writer-producer Naren Shankar served as science consultant on The Next Generation, and also wrote (or co-wrote) 'Gambit, Parts I and II,' 'Force of Nature,' 'Homeward,' 'Preemptive Strike' and Voyager's 'Heroes and Demons.' He later worked on two Sci-Fi Channel series, Farscape and The Chronicle.
- Cinematographer Jonathan West served as one of CSI's regular directors of photography before moving to Charmed; he previously lensed episodes of TNG and Deep Space Nine. In 2002 West received his third Emmy nomination for his work in the CSI episode 'Identity Crisis.'
- Casting director Eric Dawson is the husband of former Voyager star and regular Enterprise director Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres).
- Director Allison Liddi ('Organ Grinder') helmed Voyager's 'Collective' in season six.
- Stuntman Todd Bryant played Captain Klaa in 'Star Trek V: The Final Frontier,' the Klingon translator in 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' and peformed stunts in 'Star Trek Nemesis.'
- Timothy Carhart, who appears in the recurring role of Eddie Willows, the former husband of Marg Helgenberger's character, Catherine Willows, guest-starred as Lt. Cmdr. Christopher Hobson in TNG's 'Redemption, Part 2.'
- Before he landed the recurring role of Sheriff Brian Mobley on CSI, Glenn Morshower played Ensign Burke in TNG's 'Peak Performance,' Orton in TNG's 'Starship Mine' and a guard in Voyager's 'Resistance.'
Prominent Trek Alumni Who Have Appeared On CSI
- Enterprise regular Jolene Blalock (T'Pol) played Laura Garris, the cheating wife who finds herself being buried in the desert, in the episode 'Crate 'n' Burial.' The husband of Blalock's character was portrayed by Erich Anderson, Commander Kieran MacDuff from TNG's 'Conundrum.'
- Susan Gibney, who played Dr. Leah Brahms in TNG's 'Booby Trap' and 'Galaxy's Child' as well as Erika Benteen in DS9's 'Homefront' and 'Paradise Lost,' has appeared in two CSI episodes as a lab technician.
- Joseph Will, Enterprise's Michael Rostov and Kelis in Voyager's 'Muse,' played Walt Braun in 'Burked.'
- Kellie Waymire, who appeared in the recurring role of Crewman Cutler on Enterprise and Lanya in Voyager's 'Muse,' featured in season one's 'Justice is Served' with four other Trek alumni:
- Alicia Coppola (Lt. Stadi in Voyager's 'Caretaker')
- Albie Selznick (the juggler in TNG's 'Cost of Living,' the Tak-Tak in Voyager's 'Macrocosm' and Tash in 'The Voyager Conspiracy')
- Kelly Connell (Sklar in Voyager's 'Rise')
- Lee Arenberg (DaiMon Prak in TNG's 'Force of Nature,' DaiMon Bok in TNG's 'Bloodlines,' Gral in DS9's 'The Nagus' and Pelk in Voyager's 'Juggernaut')
- Casey Biggs, best known for his recurring role as Damar on DS9, played Dean Johnson in CSI: Miami's 'Forced Entry.'
- Boris Lee Krutonog, Excelsior helmsman Lojur in 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' and Voyager's 'Flashback,' appeared as Vadim in CSI: Miami's 'Evidence of Things Unseen.'
So if you're a fan of CSI, don't forget to check out CSI Files. This shameless ad was brought to you by the letter M and the number 7.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Are conventions too expensive?
- Do you like the way the writers have developed 'Trip' Tucker?
- What loose ends from TNG would you like to see tied-up?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news items on March 7, 2003:
- Major 'Dark Angel' Guest Role For Nana Visitor
Former Deep Space Nine actress Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys) signed up for a five-episode guest stint on Dark Angel as Madam X.
- Garrett Wang Rejected As Voyager Director
Voyager actor Garrett Wang told British sci-fi magazine SFX that the producers refused to let him direct an episode of the series:
"I'm the first actor to be turned down for a directing gig. Is this a racial thing? I truly wonder. I don't know. I'm sitting here thinking, well, why else? Other than during season two and season three where I had some problems not being punctual, which got me in hot water at one point in time... but I've grown past that. I first asked in year five, then again during year six and they said no again. The beginning of this year I asked a third time, and again I was told no."
- Bryan Fuller, Marina Sirtis Talk Trek V
Voyager co-producer Bryan Fuller said he had been asked to join the staff of Series V, while Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) told a convention audience the show was set "in a different timeline".
More news can be found in the archives.
Please participate in our new poll, which asks whether you will be buying the Star Trek Nemesis DVD.
March 3 was the 83rd birthday of James Doohan, who played Montgomery 'Scotty' Scott on the Original Series and the first seven Trek feature films.
March 5 was the 28th birthday of the actress behind Enterprise's Sub-commander T'Pol, Jolene Blalock.