Trek 11 Rumoured To Be Off Paramount's AgendaBy Michelle
January 7, 2005 - 9:47 PM
Rumours circulated today that the eleventh Star Trek film, which had been in the early stages of development at Paramount, has been shelved for the present time.
Robert Sanchez of The IESB, who interviewed Star Trek executive producer Rick Berman a few months ago when the storyline for the prequel film was being written, said that calls to his sources at Paramount led to an anonymous comment that the studio was "not happy with the direction that the story was headed."
Though the concept of a feature film follow-up to Star Trek Nemesis has not been rejected entirely, it will likely not be the one Berman had discussed with Sanchez, which he had said would be set after Enterprise with characters new to the Trek franchise. Paramount reportedly had concerns that the storyline would not be familiar enough to potential audiences. MovieHole and Dark Horizons, which have reported previously on the difficult state of Trek feature films, both picked up the story.
Meanwhile, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed that the man with the power to greenlight a future Star Trek film will be Brad Grey, a former talent manager who is expected to succeed Sherry Lansing as the head of Paramount Pictures on March 1st. Grey's appointment as chairman and CEO of Paramount Motion Picture Group was announced Thursday by Viacom. In addition to being involved with Plan B, a production company at Warner Bros., Grey is an executive producer of HBO's The Sopranos.
No official information has been released by Paramount about the future of any Star Trek films, so all conjecture should be treated as rumour until an official source speaks on the record about it.