Site ColumnsBy Amy
April 2, 2001 - 3:49 PM
April, it would appear, has gotten off to a rather bad start for yours truly… there’s certainly nothing like being in the middle of a large download and finding your speed suddenly drops off to 47 *bytes* per second… and then stalls all together. My download rate has never exactly been what you’d call comparable to the speeds many people take for granted – on a good day, I’ll get 4.5 Kbs. For a change, however, the problem does not seem to be with my own computer, nor even my own ISP, but rather with the company that owns the phone lines of the nation – Telstra, who have done something, I’ve been told, to slow at least *my* computer to molasses. I wasn’t impressed either shortly after the abortive download to get a dreaded GPF blue screen, where upon I was forced to reboot – and then spend the next several hours running the surface scan it told me was necessary.
So, add this to those recent finale rumors, the halting of production on ‘Dragonriders’ and those damn ***************** finale spoilers, I’m not having a great start to my birthday month. Of, and I’ll also be moving house again over the next few days...
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Two years ago today, Friday, April 2 1999, these were some of the TrekToday headlines:
- Star Trek 10 To Wait For Star Wars? What was seen as rather worrying at the time, but ultimatly turned out to be true. "Don't hold your breath (or start lining up) for the next Star Trek flick. "It's going to be a few years before we revisit the Enterprise," Jonathan Frakes (Riker) told The New York Daily News. "Patrick Stewart (Picard) doesn't want to do one for about three years, and the studio wisely believes we should let the Star Wars films come and go before we get back on the ship. We want to stay out of their way. But you know we will be back."
- Overnight Ratings Report 'Think Tank': "Think Tank," no doubt assisted by the appearance of Jason Alexander, cruised to Voyager's best overnight mark since "Dark Frontier," earning a 5.3, 8 share. That's about a 30% improvement over the previous week's disaster.
- ET Online Features Jeri Ryan: Shortly after the announcement of a TV Guide photo shoot, Entertainment Tonight's website posted a breif report about the issue. "Trading in "Xena's" breastplate and leather for sophisticated elegance, LUCY LAWLESS mounts a pedestal and plays goddess for the cover of TV Guide. Plus, she's sharing the coveted cover with "Star Trek: Voyager's" JERI RYAN, who gets to ditch her character's half-Borg, half-human facade to play glamour girl. These two TV superwomen bonded quickly while sharing some tricks of their trade. On location at the photoshoot, we sat down with each of the sexy stars and captured some behind-the-scenes pictures. Take a look!"
Today is the 69th birthday of Barbara Luna who played Marlena Moreau in the original series episode, 'Mirror, Mirror'
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series' 'The Savage Curtain' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will undoubtedly be showing several Star Trek episodes, beginning at 10:00am Eastern Time, but at the moment their online schedule for April is not yet available.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will begin another TNG repeat run by showing 'Encounter At Farpoint, Part One' at 17:00 and at 23:30. At 20:00, they'll be showing the new Voyager episode 'Body and Soul', while at 23:00 home shopping channel QVX will be repeating their Star Trek special. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'Children of Time' at 17:15, while Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Parturition' at 18:35 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the original series episode 'All Our Yesterdays' at 5pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Muse' at 4am (repeat at 1pm), DS9's 'His Way' at 5am (repeat at 12pm), the original series episode 'Catspaw ' at 10am and TNG's 'Descent Pt.2' at 11am.
- In the United Kingdom, BBC2 will screen Voyager's 'Basics' at 18:50, while TNG's 'Encounter at Farpoint' will air at 00:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'Blaze of Glory' at 17:15 CET while NET5 will air Voyager's 'Persistence of Vision' at 18:35. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, channel nine will air Voyager's 'Infinite Regress' at 11:55pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule