Site ColumnsBy Caillan
January 2, 2002 - 1:15 PM
Happy New Year to all our readers, I hope you had a safe, enjoyable and fun holiday season.
However, it's not been a happy time for everyone. Bush fires have raged throughout New South Wales for the past week or so owing to the extremely hot conditions here in Australia (and thanks to some nasty arsonists). Over 150 homes have been destroyed, and numerous firefighters have worked endlessly to save lives and property.
It's very sobering to hear of families forced to flee their homes just as they were about to sit down for Christmas dinner or a woman who slipped and fell from her roof as she was trying to protect her house. Perhaps the most devastating story of all was of a family who packed all their treasured belongings in their car when they were evacuating, but their car wouldn't start, so they had to grab a ride with friends. When they returned, their house had been saved, but the car with all their precious memories had been destroyed.
So an extra special happy new year to all our readers in Sydney or NSW, in the hope that you and your families are safe and sound, and a big thank-you to all the firefighters who have worked tirelessly to save lives.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Is Roddenberry's vision possible?
- What did you think of DS9's 'Rivals'?
- Join in the countdown to the release of Bridge Commander.
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the most important news items on January 2, 2002:
- Brooks Attends DC Celebration
Avery Brooks (Benjamin Sisko) participated in the Y2K celebrations held in Washington DC as one of the actors reading quotations.
- 'Generations' Ratings
The FOX network aired 'Star Trek: Generations' at 8:00pm on New Year's Eve, averaging a 3.5 rating / 6 share.
More news can be found in the archives.
Below are the results of the most recent TrekToday poll:
,Thanks for voting! Please participate in our new poll, which asks which series you would most like to see released in DVD box sets.,
Today's Television Listings
- At 8:00pm (9:00pm Central), UPN will be showing the Enterprise episode 'The Andorian Incident'. Here's how the Official Site describes the episode:
The Enterprise crew pays a friendly visit to an ancient Vulcan spiritual sanctuary, despite T'Pol's concerns that her human colleagues will be an awkward and disruptive presence there. Upon landing, they discover that the monastery has been forcibly taken over by the Andorians, a paranoid and highly excitable race of aliens with a long history of conflict with the Vulcans. Archer soon discovers that the Enterprise crew has gotten in the middle of an interstellar Pandora's Box and now must find a way out.
More information about the episode can be foudn in the Trek Nation episode guide.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'Wink Of An Eye' at 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m eastern time, with TNG's 'Yesterday's Enterprise' at 3:00 p.m, DS9's 'Captive Pursuit' at 4:00 p.m and Voyager's 'Learning Curve' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, E4 will show the Original Series episode 'Operation Annihilate' at 14:00 and 18:00 GMT. Sky One will show Voyager's 'Manoeuvres' at 17:00, and BBC2 will show TNG's 'When the Bough Breaks' at 18:45. Sky One will show 'The Wrath of Khan' at 21:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing
- In the Netherlands, NET 5 will show Voyager's 'Rise' at 18:45 ECT. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'The Empath' at 10:00am Eastern Time with a repeat at 2:00pm, TNG's 'The Offspring' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'Q Less' at 4:00pm and Voyager's 'The 37s' at 5:00pm, repeated at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing Voyager's 'Resistance' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 00:05. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, NET 5 will be showing Voyager's 'Favourite Son' at 18:45 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing TNG's 'The Hunted' at 00:00. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule