Site ColumnsBy Lisa
June 1, 2001 - 4:55 PM
I've been hitting the fan fiction circuit pretty hard today, in search of some new material to read. Much to my dismay, there doesn't seem to be a lot of it about. Are all you Janeway-centric writers too traumatised by the finale to shuffle back to your keyboards?
If so, PLEASE start writing again. We Voyager fans need you now more than ever. PLEASE.
The one thing more traumatising than no new fan fiction at all, is of course, unfinished fan fiction. Two absolute classics that currently have me desperately waiting for more are C.A Brown's 'Of Mind, Body and Soul', a novella (or soon to be novella if I have my way) about the dashing Devore Inspector Kashyk from the season five episode 'Counterpoint.' Another absolute cracker of a story is Jules and Suz's 'Dark is Rising' series. Its dark, its violent, but its also rather amazing. Passing by their site earlier, I notice they've got a new Work In Progress posted too. Naturally, I read the first part, and am now bursting to know what happens next. Ack!
So please, fan fiction writers, return to your keyboards. We, your online fans, are desperate to hang from your every word, with the end of the series now more than ever. We need more adventures of Janeway and her crew. I'm very much looking forward to the first story from the Voyager Virtual Season 8 project.
In the meantime, I'm off to wear out my tape of 'Counterpoint' some more.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-If the Borg are so efficiant, why do they have messy ships?
-What about Voyager's Admiral Paris?
-Would you like Enterprise to have an opening monologue?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Below is a selection of the most important headlines that appeared on TrekToday on Tuesday June 1, 1999:
- Sulu Actor Speaks
The San Antonio Express-News published an interview with George Takei (Hikaru Sulu). The actor talked about a possible series starring Captain Sulu, and William Shatner (James T. Kirk)
It's not just the adventures of this heroic, swashbuckling captain, but now we discover he's got a daughter. There's a whole romantic side. And we'll show how romantic THIS captain can be." If you want to interpret that remark as a slam against William Shatner, who starred as Capt. James T. Kirk, go ahead. After all, Takei rarely misses a chance to get in a shot. "Let's just say he is a pompous and pampered and extremely self-centred individual."
- Visitor's Future Plans
Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys) was interviewed by TV Guide about her post DS9 plans.
"I'd like to do some comedy... If it's stage, television or whatever, I'd just like to do something a little lighter now. It was heavy subject matter for sure... I was carried along by this wave of Star Trek, so now I'm manning the ship again."Visitor partially got her wish, as she is currently starring as Roxie in the Broadway musical 'Chicago.'
- Green Looks Back at Voyager Season 5
Michelle Erica Green took a look back at Voyager's season five. She commented on how widely uneven the quality of episodes was, and offered suggestions as to how the series might improve. You can read her full comments here at Get Critical.
More news from this day in 1999 can be found in our June 1999 archive.
Below are the results of the most recent TrekToday poll:
,Thanks for voting! In our new poll, we ask which Star Trek villain you'd most like to have as a dinner guest. Yes, really.,
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'A Piece Of The Action' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'A Piece Of The Action' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'The Offspring' at 12:00pm, a repeat of 'A Piece Of The Action' at 4:00pm, DS9's 'The Alternate' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Darkling' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'QWho' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 00:20. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Planet Angel One' ('Angel One') at 16:00 CET, and Voyager's 'Unimatrix Zero, Teil 1' ('Unimatrix Zero, Part I') at 20:15.
- In the Netherlands, Yorin will be showing DS9's 'Chimera' at 17:00 CET, and Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Worst Case Scenario' at 18:35. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series 'The Immunity Syndrome' at 10:00 a.m Eastern Time. The Next Generation's 'Sins of the Father' is at 11:00 a.m. DS9's 'The Alternate' will be shown at 12:00 and Voyager's 'Darkling' at 1:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'A Call to Arms' at 14:00 GMT, followed by Voyager's 'Someone to Watch Over Me' at 15:00. Voyager's 'Relativity' will be shown at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing the Original Series' 'Planet der Unsterblichen' at 14:00 ECT. Voyager's 'Die Denkfabrik' ('Think Tank') will be shown at 15:00.