It has been eight years since Star Trek Online made its debut and Perfect World Entertainment Inc. and Cryptic Studios have announced how they will celebrate the event.
“Originally launching in February 2010, the game is now one of the longest running Star Trek series in the history of the franchise and offers and offers one-hundred-and-sixty-one episodes, three major expansions and fourteen full seasons of playable content.”
In honor of the anniversary, there will be daily giveaways, special events and a brand new featured episode. Star Trek Online will also team up with Loot Crate to give away free subscriptions for the Star Trek Mission Crate.
“Captains who visit the in-game C-store from now through January 23 can participate in server-wide giveaways, which allow them to collect a new reward each day, including uniforms, starships and other items. Giveaway items will be revealed on Star Trek Online‘s blog,” which is located here.
“Beginning January 23, captains face their final battle in the war against the genocidal Tzenkethi. In the new featured episode Scylla & Charibdis, players must find a way to stop a new escalation by the Tzenkethi fleet that puts the entire quadrant in immediate danger. While warping from system to system in pursuit of the enemy, captains receive communication from Captain Geordi La Forge (voiced by LeVar Burton) that an unexpected ally has offered to help finally put an end to these deadly attacks. The update also introduces a new modification feature and special events to celebrate the game’s anniversary. A full list of new features and planned festivities includes:
- New Featured Episode – Captains must rally the fleet to stand in the way of the Tzenkethi’s path of destruction through the Alpha Quadrant in the new episode Scylla & Charibdis.
- Re-Engineering – This new feature allows players to change the mods on their existing items, including weapons.
- Omega Molecule Stabilization – Back by popular demand, players can join this event to collect Omega particles that Q has hidden across space. Stabilizing these molecules will yield prize vouchers, which can be redeemed for this year’s anniversary ship, the T6 Denorios-class Bajoran Interceptor.
- 8th Anniversary Party Poppers – Captains can meet up with Q to score a special event party popper, which allows them to generate exciting new effects!
- LootCrate Giveaway – Players can follow Star Trek Online on Facebook and Twitter to find out how they can enter to win a one-year subscription to the Star Trek Mission Crate from Loot Crate, which offers exclusive Star Trek apparel and collectibles every two months. Starting at the end of this month, each crate will also include codes to unlock in-game items for Star Trek Online, including starships, Bridge Officers, gear and exclusive emotes.
In the video below, Cryptic Studios developers share their favorite Star Trek Online moments.”
Source: Press Release