In honor of Star Trek‘s Fiftieth Anniversary, CBS Consumer Products will launch Trek Talks.
Trek Talks will “bring fans together a new and exciting live event program that will explore Star Trek‘s influence and impact via lectures – held around the world – by leading thinkers who will comment on how Star Trek has changed the game when it comes to society, culture, science, technology and more.”
Trek Talks will be produced and hosted by academic and entertainment institutions, and other non-profit and commercial corporations. Theme options for the talks include:
- Our Single World – Envisioning a future multicultural universe
- The Prime Directive – Exploring our universe, ethically
- Trek Tech – Examining Star Trek‘s impact on the information age
- Literary Trek – Literature’s unique role in the Star Trek universe
- A Trek Economy – Evaluating Star Trek‘s economy to address world issues
- Science of Star Trek – Recognizing Trek’s influence on scientific exploration
- A Star Trek Society – Addressing our world’s issues for 50 years
- Thinking Boldly – Today’s philosophical issues in Trek’s tomorrow
- The Final Frontier – Star Trek‘s fifty year influence on the space industry
- Designing the Future – Star Trek‘s influence on products & systems
- Changing Hollywood – Exploring five decades of production
The events will take place from July 2016 through July 2017. Organizations already on board for the project include NASA, the Toronto International Film Festival, Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, EMP Museum, and the Canadian Space Agency. Expect to see Trek Talks at conventions such as the San Diego Comic-Con, Star Trek Las Vegas, Star Trek: Mission New York and Destination Star Trek Europe.
More information on Trek Talks can be found here.