Star Trek into Darkness isn’t quite finished yet, but there is already talk about the movie to follow it.
Producer Bryan Burk introduced a screening of the first half-hour of the movie to reporters this weekend and gave an update on the progress of the movie, as well as looking ahead into the future of the franchise.
The London screening featured the first twenty-eight minutes of the movie, plus two later scenes, but the footage was raw footage without final special effects, sound effects or 3D. Burk explained why additional footage of the movie has been released. “The thing we are perpetually going through every time we release a movie is the studio saying, ‘You’ve gotta get material out!’ We’re like, ‘No, hold it back!’ We like the idea of keeping secrets not for any other reason than to keep the experience of going to the movies and not having seen anything before it.
“In this case, we figured that people had already seen the first nine minutes and we could show the conclusion of that sequence. We figured if we go longer it’ll give people the time to get emotionally into the story and characters. You want this to be a movie that anybody can get into. It’s not really a sequel; it’s its own thing.”
Expect goodies for Star Trek fans. “one of the things is that the movie will always be for Star Trek fans,” said Burk. “In the process of all us five producers working together, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof, to a slightly lesser extent, are crazy-hardcore Trekkies. They understand the world so we had long conversations where they put things in and would be laughing hysterically. I had no clue why they were! There are tons of references and nods.”
Director J.J. Abrams was unable to attend the London screening, but appeared in a video introduction to the preview. “My hair is a disaster,” he joked, “and that’s why I couldn’t be there today because I’m having my hair fixed in an emergency procedure.”
Abrams is so busy with Star Trek into Darkness, said Burk, that he hasn’t been able to turn his attention to the new Star War film.
Although Star Trek into Darkness hasn’t released yet, the third movie of the rebooted series is under discussion. With 2016 being the fiftieth anniversary of Star Trek, could the next movie be released that year? “We’re definitely talking about the next one, but we haven’t talked about a release date” said Burk. “We don’t want to wait four years, the same amount of time between the last one and this one, but it’s going to be a big year to celebrate, hopefully.”
Star Trek into Darkness opens in the UK on May 9 and in the US on May 17.