First Trek X Plot InfoBy Christian
November 30, 2000 - 7:54 PM
Colin Campbell sends along word that yesterday evening, Los Angeles UPN affiliate KCOP 13 broadcast a short interview with Star Trek producer Rick Berman. In the interview, which aired as part of the stations 10pm News, Berman told reporter Hal Eisner the first confirmed plot info about the next Star Trek film. Here's a summary:
- The film will feature the Romulans as the main villain race, marking the first time in quite a few years that the Romulans have been used as a major plot force.
- Scriptwriter John Logan has created "the greatest villain since Khan" for the movie.
- Berman confirmed that both Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) and Brent Spiner (Data) have signed on for the film, despite recent reports that Spiner hadn't yet signed anything. Berman of course also confirmed Spiner is involved in writing the story.
- Some interesting things will be happening to Data, but Berman hinted that there were no plans as yet to have the character die.
- The film is now set for a 2002 release. That would seem to suggest that shooting won't start in Spring, but instead only after the possible writers' and actors' strike.