Site ColumnsBy Amy
March 30, 2001 - 10:59 AM
I don’t know about you but I’ve already pulled out the industrial strength lie-detector and special hoax-retardant amour for April Fools day. While this may seem a bit premature, it’s worth noting that the first falls on a Sunday this year and, for many major news sites, not to mention other places, this is a day off – some, at least, will be looking to make up for this by having their fun today or Monday. And more power to ‘em, I say. However, I can say, with honesty (unless my dear co-editor is holding out on me, in which case he will shortly be an ex co-editor) that we won’t be running any pranks on TrekToday ourselves, despite my express desire to Sweedish Chef the site for the day, or at least Klingon it. No, we’ll be good and only print hoaxes other people have done. It’s a bugger, but there you are.
Speaking once more of the Sweedish Chef: did you know that you can actually run a Google search in the ‘language’? I certainly didn’t, at least, not until I read about it yesterday at Slashdot. You can even set your search so it’ll automatically display retrieved pages in ‘http://www.google.com/intl/xx-bork/ Bork, bork bork!’ This has obviously been designed for people like me by people like me who have nothing better to do with their time and a strange love of the Muppets, but it’s a nice and more amusing alternative than altavista’s Bable fish. Bork Bork Bork! :D
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Two years ago today, Tuesday the 30th of March, these were some of the TrekToday headlines:
- Rick Sternbach Talks Next Trek Series: Rick Sternbach of the Voyager Art Dept told Web Trek that "We in the Voyager Art Department have not even the briefest whisper of a smidgin of a hint of a clue about what happens after Voyager closes down, rumors of a new series notwithstanding. I don't even know what we're doing in season six or whether we get the ship home early or if we go the full seven seasons. Do we slide into a new series as we did from TNG to Voyager? Beats me, but if we're asked to stick around, we're ready to assist."
- Leonard Nimoy Hosts Y2K Survival Video: A piece of Y2K paranoia history, anyone? The then Continuum official site reported that Leonard Nimoy (Spock) had hosted a new video called 'The Y2K Family Survival Guide.'
- 'Star Trek Junkie' Invents Personal VCR: San Jose, Calif. (AP) - Eight years ago, Anthony Wood decided that he didn't want to miss another second of Star Trek, so he set to work designing a digital VCR that could search for programs and record them on a computer disk. This week the first personal video recorder is rolling out for consumers. For $500 to $1,000, viewers get on-demand programming from a black box that sits on their television set and collects shows based on their individual taste.
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series' 'The Way To Eden' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Jetrel' at 4:15am Eastern Time, the Original Series' 'For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky' at 10:00am, TNG's 'Encounter At Farpoint, Part Two' at 12:00pm, 'For The World etc.' again at 4:00pm, DS9's 'Chimera' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Learning Curve' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky Premier 4 will be showing 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' at 11:35 and at 19:00 GMT, while Sky One will be showing DS9's 'Let He Who Is Without Sin' at 17:00 and at 1:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'Soldiers of the Empire' at 17:15 CET, while Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Twisted' at 18:40. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing DS9's 'The Forsaken' at 7:30pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Learning Curve' at 4am (repeat at 1pm), DS9's 'Chimera' at 5am (repeat at 12pm), the original series episode 'The Tholian Web' at 10am and TNG's The Naked Now' at 11am.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show Voyager's 'In the Flesh' at 06:00 (repeat at 16:00), DS9's 'Things Past' 14:00, 'The Ascent' at 15:00 and Voyager's 'Once Upon a Time' at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing the original series episode 'Platons Stiefkinder' ('Plato's Stepchildren') at 14:00 (repeat at 01:25), Voyager's 'Chaoticas Braut' ('Bride of Chaotica!) at 15:00.
- In the Netherlands, NED2 will air Voyager's 'Once Upon a Time' at 17:10. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, pay channel TV1 will air the original series episode 'Operation Annihilate!' at 8pm and DS9's 'Dramatis Personae' at 10pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule