Site ColumnsBy Christian
April 29, 2001 - 8:46 PM
You know how many Star Trek episodes included mention of the number 47? I was talking about it with a friend and reading through the web site of the 47 Society, and noticed that my own life is also filled with occurrences of this "quintessential random number of the universe."
To begin with, my post box number ends with 47. So does my bank account number. My old phone number ended with 47, a friend's phone number still does, and there's even a '47' included in my current phone number. And all those were just '47' occurrences I found by looking at the very first compartment of my wallet.
Am I the only one who has so many 47s in his life? Do post in this BBS thread if you're another one of those people whose life seems to be haunted by 47.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-Have you ever tried to write for Star Trek?
-Why were there no Borg stories on DS9, considering Benjamin Sisko's background?
-Have you noticed the large differences between TNG's first three seasons?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Below are some of the most important headlines that appeared on TrekToday on Thursday the 29th of April, 1999:
- 'Juggernaut' Final Ratings Disastrous - Final ratings came in for 'Juggernaut,' which UPN aired in a special Monday timeslot. The episode set a new depth record that has still not been broken - the episode got no more than a 1.7 rating.
- Rick Berman To Step Down? - Ain't It Cool News posted a very interesting report (that is still available) on the status of the DS9 stages, which were by now almost all taken down. In addition, the site reported a rumour that Rick Berman might want to step down and not develop a fifth series, due to being "tired as hell." The site did not this was not certain, as is indeed indicated by the fact Series V is currently gearing up production under the direction of Berman.
- Scarlett Pomers Episode Pulled - This was right after the Columbine Massacre, and a Seven Days episode featuring Scarlett Pomers (Naomi Wildman) was pushed back to a later date due to its content, which could have offended people so shortly after the tragedy.
Below are the results of the most recent TrekToday poll:
,Thanks for voting! The new poll is based on a recent BBS thread, and asks you when you think Paramount will officially announce the new series:,
Today is the 46th birthday of Kate Mulgrew, who stars in Star Trek: Voyager as Captain Kathryn Janeway. It is also the 53rd birthday of Michael Piller, co-developer of DS9 and Voyager, and writer of 'Star Trek: Insurrection.'
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series' 'Tomorrow Is Yesterday' at 10:00am.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series' 'Balance of Terror' at 10:00am Eastern Time and TNG's 'The Schizoid Man' at 11:00am.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky Cinema 2 will be showing 'Star Trek V: The Final Frontier' at 13:00 and at 19:00 GMT. Sky One will be showing three TNG episodes, beginning at 14:00 with 'Reunion,' and continuing with 'Future Imperfect' at 15:00 and 'Final Mission' at 16:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing the Original Series' 'Who Mourns For Adonais' at 10:00am and TNG's 'The Survivors' at 10:30am. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series' 'Court Martial' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series' 'Shore Leave' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'Unnatural Selection' at 12:00pm, 'Shore Leave' again at 4:00pm, DS9's 'The Passengers' at 5:00pm and Voyager's 'Investigations' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Heart of Glory' at 17:00 and at midnight GMT, and Voyager's 'Shattered' at 20:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Yorin will be showing DS9's 'Change of Heart' at 17:10 CET, while Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Basics, Part Two' at 18:35. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!