Site ColumnsBy Christian
March 29, 2001 - 3:37 PM
The Dutch television system is getting weirder and weirder. For several years now, we've had a commercial television station here that was called Veronica. Programming was done by a company called Veronica, which used to be a radio station and later made programs for public television, and the station was co-owned by Veronica and an entity called the Holland Media Group (HMG).
After some in-fighting, Veronica decided to leave the Holland Media Group, leaving behind the station and most of its creative staff. They did take away the rights to the name Veronica, so HMG had to find a new name for the station. They came up with 'ME - The Movement', a move that really only reminded the rest of the Netherlands of Monty Pythons' 'The Knights Who Say Ni'. Unfortunately for HMG, they were quickly sued by clothing chain 'WE', who had registered trademarks for the English words 'HE', 'SHE' and 'ME'. Last week they won their case, leaving HMG with less than a week to find a new name, as they'd already announced they were going to change it on the 2nd of April.
Over the past week, the station was already running little commercials for '? - The Movement', telling us we'd find out the new name today. A few of the options they themselves mentioned in those commercials were RTL 7 (after the two other stations operated by HMG), OOQ and DNA, none of which managed to terribly excite me. However, they were all surely better than the name that they did unveil today - 'Yorin - The Movement', an alternate spelling of the phrase "You're in".
They can count me right out.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-What would have been good opening monologues for DS9 and Voyager?
-Why did so many people hate 'Generations'?
-Was the Doctor's mobile holo-emitter a good idea?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Below are some of the most important headlines that appeared on TrekToday on Monday the 29th of March, 1999:
- British TeleText Headlines - Sky Teletext, that bastion of reliable reporting, posted their weekly set of Trek news headlines, advertising their pay phone line with new Trek rumours. Among the headlines they included was 'Voyager: Time Ship To Erase Earth - Old Voyager Enemy To Take Vengeance'.
- Final Chapter Novelization Not Certain - On his Q&A page, Pocket Books editor John Ordover again said it was far from certain there would be novelisation of the DS9 finale, as Pocket Books hadn't yet received the episode's script. This came despite DS9 writer Ron Moore saying two days earlier that the finale would start shooting on Monday. "What Ron meant, of course, is that the finale is -scheduled- to start shooting today," Ordover wrote. "All can I say If things -did- start on schedule, and there is a full script today, we can probably still make the date. If there is only a partial script, with the rest up in the air, I don't know if we can or not. We'll certaintly try. All I know is that as of Friday there was nothing they could send us. I'm already considering alternatives, and doing DOMININON WAR II is certainly one of them.:) "
For more headlines from that day, please check out our March 1999 archives.
Today is the 41st birthday of Marina Sirtis, who appeared as Deanna Troi on 'Star Trek: The Next Generation', as well as several episodes of 'Star Trek: Voyager'.
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the original series episode 'Requiem for Methuselah' at 5pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Faces' at 4am, DS9's 'The Emperor's New Cloak' at 5am, the original series episode 'Day of the Dove' at 10am (repeat at 4pm), TNG's '101 Encounter at Farpoint Pt.1' at 12pm, DS9's 'Field of Fire' at 5pm and Voyager's 'Jetrel' at 10pm.
- In the United Kingdom, DS9's '' at 17:00 (repeat at 23:30) Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'Ferengi Love Songs' at 17:15 while NET5 will air Voyager's 'Non-Sequitur' at 18:40. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, pay tv channel TV1 will show DS9's 'The Forsaken' at 11pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series' 'The Way To Eden' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Jetrel' at 4:15am Eastern Time, the Original Series' 'For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky' at 10:00am, TNG's 'Encounter At Farpoint, Part Two' at 12:00pm, 'For The World etc.' again at 4:00pm, DS9's 'Chimera' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Learning Curve' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky Premier 4 will be showing 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' at 11:35 and at 19:00 GMT, while Sky One will be showing DS9's 'Let He Who Is Without Sin' at 17:00 and at 1:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'Soldiers of the Empire' at 17:15 CET, while Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Twisted' at 18:40. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing DS9's 'The Forsaken' at 7:30pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule