Site ColumnsBy Christian
June 28, 2001 - 11:01 AM
This is turning into a really sad week. First Caroll O'Connor passes away, which was already a huge loss. Then this morning, probably my favourite actor ever also died: Jack Lemmon, well-known from films such as 'The Apartment' and 'Irma La Douce.'
His most famous roles are already three to four decades behind us, but since there has never been an actor so good at portraying just a regular Everyman, and I don't think anyone will ever be able to forget that slightly surprised, bemused look he always had on his face. Whether teamed with director Billy Wilder or with fellow actor Walter Matthau, his performance was always fantastic - he kept working until almost the very end, so it's a great pity we now won't be seeing anything more from him. He'll certainly be missed.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-Was TNG more of an '80s show or a '90s show?
-What do you think of the Virtual Voyager Season 8 so far?
-Who do you think will be the next big-screen Captain?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Below are some of the most important headlines that appeared on TrekToday on Monday the 28th of June, 1999:
Ira Steven Behr Chat Transcript - In a live chat at what was then still the Continuum, DS9 Executive Producer Ira Steven Behr revealed how his habit of always wearing sunglasses started. "Five years after I graduated from college, I met a girl who I had gone to school with on a New York City subway train. We said hello and about the first thing she said to me was, "Boy I really hated you back in those days. You used to walk across campus wearing these mirrored sunglasses, ignoring everyone." "I don't think I saw your eyes for four years." Now you have to understand, this is a person I thought liked me. I haven't taken my sunglasses off since. I don't know what it means."
- Cirroc Lofton's Current Project - Showtime was scheduled to show the two-hour premiere of The Hoop Life, the new series of Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko), a few weeks later. The show never seemed able to attract too much attention after its launch.
- More 'Survival Instinct' Spoilers - It was confirmed that the script for Voyager's 'Survival Instinct' was written by Ronald D. Moore, one of only two episodes of the show he would work on. In addition, it was revealed that Scarlett Pomers would be appearing in the episode as Naomi Wildman, and that Terry Windell would direct.
Today is the 47th birthday of Alice Krige, who played the Borg Queen in both 'Star Trek: First Contact' and Voyager's 'Endgame.'
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'Whom Gods Destroy' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'The Lights Of Zetar' at 10:00am, TNG's 'Night Terrors' at 12:00pm, a repeat of 'The Lights Of Zetar' at 4:00pm, DS9's 'Second Skin' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Concerning Flight' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Deja Q' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 00:00, and Voyager's 'Day Of Honour' at 22:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Das fremde Gedächtnis' (The Schizoid Man) at 16:00 CET.
- In the Netherlands, Ned2 will be showing Voyager's 'Survival Instinct' at 17:05 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'Requiem for Methuselah' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'Identity Crisis' at 12:00pm, 'Requiem for Methuselah' again at 4:00pm, DS9's 'The Abandoned' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Mortal Coil' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'A Matter of Perspective' at 17:00 and at 23:00, while at 22:00 they will be showing Voyager's 'Prey.' Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Die Jungen Greise' (Unnatural Selection) at 16:00 CET.
- In the Netherlands, Nederland 2 will be showing Voyager's 'Barge of the Dead' at 17:05 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!