Site ColumnsBy Amy
March 26, 2001 - 6:08 PM
Well, thatís the Oscars over and done with for another year Ė thank the gods. While I do like knowing who wins the damn things, the ceremonies to hand them out themselves bore me to tearsÖ well, not quite tears, but they bore me quite a lot regardless. It doesnít help that this year Iíve only seen a handful of the films up for grabs Ė and didnít particularly like any of them. Specifically, I sure as hell didnít get all the hype surrounding ĎGladiatorí. I saw it first on video then on DVD and thought it was oh so much trite dribble. I got up and left halfway through it the second time. It did have some nice visuals, but the plot was nothing spectacular, the acting a bit above normal, maybe, but I canít help but feel that the damn thing took home so many of itís awards because of popular acclaim rather than true artistic merit.
*sighs* Still with movies, last night I went along to the local theatre to catch the directorís edition of horror/thriller classic, Ďthe Exorcist.í As with the first time I saw it, I enjoyed it to some extent, though it didnít scare me in the slightest. Maybe itís because Iím not religious at all. I dunno. But though the characterization is a tad on the shallow side and that I feel that the whole opening in Iraq could have been quite happily axed, I can see why it is considered a classic of itís type Ė and, for the time, the special effects were brilliant. At present, Iím trying to track down a copy of the book it was based upon Ė of all people my mother, who normally shies from this sort of thing like it was the black death, actually read it and thought it was brilliant. This means one of two things: either Iíll hate it because Iíve yet to find a book the two of us both like or Iíll love it because if *she* liked something from the genre, it must be flippiní good.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Two years ago today, Friday, March 26 1999, these were some of the TrekToday headlines:
- DS9 Final Chapter Spoilers: More rumors about the final chapter of DS9 made their way to the net - namely that the Defiant was going to be destroyed in an episode leading up to the finale and that the Enterprise E would be coming to the small screen at considerable expense.
- The Great Link Moves: Today marks the aniversary of Trek news site the Great Link has moving to its current home after the announcement of of the imminent closure of the STZone, the legendary collection of Trek sites.
- Jeri Ryan To Appear In TV Guide: The official Jeri Lynn Ryan Homepage reported that a photo shoot featuring Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine) and Lucy Lawless (from 'Xena: Warrior Princess') would be appearing in the April 10 issue of TV Guide.
Today is the 70th birthday of the man who portrayed everyone's favourite half-Vulcan, Spock - Leonard Nimoy.
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'The Mark of Gideon' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'And The Children Shall Lead' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'Preemptive Strike' at 12:00pm, 'And The Children Shall Lead' again at 4:00pm, DS9's 'It's Only A Paper Moon' at 5:00pm and Voyager's 'Heroes and Demons' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places' at 17:00 and at 23:30 GMT, and Voyager's 'Inside Man' at 20:00. At 23:00, home shopping channel QVC will be showing a Star Trek special. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'A Simple Investigation' at 17:10 CET, while Net5 will be showing TNG's 'Initiations' at 18:35. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the original series episode 'That Which Survives' at 5pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Heroes and Demons' at 4am, DS9's 'Only a Paper Moon' at 5am, the original series episode, 'Is There In Truth No Beauty' at 10am (repeat at 4pm), TNG's 'All Good Things Pt.1' at 12pm, DS9's 'Prodigal Daughter' at 5pm and Voyager's 'Cathexis' at 10pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky Premiere 2 wil show 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' at 10:00 (repeat at 17:00) while Sky One will show DS9's 'Nor the Battle to the Strong' at 17:00 (repeat at 00:10) and BBC2 will show Voyager's 'Resolutions' at 18:50. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica wil show DS9's 'Business as Usual' at 17:15 while NET5 will air Voyager's 'Projections' at 18:35. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!