News BulletsBy Michelle
January 25, 2006 - 8:47 PM
- Kelly Jean Alderman, popularly known Nibbles on the TrekBBS, has passed away. Our condolences to her family and friends; she will be missed by many readers here.
- The Sid City Forums has posted a new Syriana "For Your Consideration" ad. The producer and distributor are promoting Alexander Siddig (Bashir) for a Best Supporting Actor Academy Award nomination, despite the fact that George Clooney won the Golden Globe Award in that very competitive category for the same film.
- StarTrek.com notes that William Shatner (Kirk) will be a presenter at the Screen Actors Guild Awards show, where he is also a nominee, along with several other Star Trek alumni.
- The UK's Sunday Mail quotes Shatner as saying that tinnitus, a constant ringing in the ears which he thinks was brought on by a movie-set explosion, has made him think about suicide.
- Images of Famke Janssen (Kamala) in The X-Men are posted at Ain't It Cool News. Warning: Spoilers!
- There is a photo of Marina Sirtis (Troi) at the Producers Guild Awards at Yahoo!. Sirtis appeared in the acclaimed film Crash.
- Israel's Starbase 972 has a tribute page for late DeForest Kelley (McCoy)'s 86th birthday with "I'm a doctor, not a..." sound files.
- Decipher is having a contest for CCG fans to find the titles of "To Boldly Go" cards in news headlines.
- Slice of Sci Fi reports that Trek to the Troops, which brings Star Trek to US military personnel, is looking for donors to help pay for the banners at venues for the guests and crew.
- Zap2It speculates on schedules for The CW, the network being formed by the merger of UPN and The WB.
- The Digital Bits has an image of the new Free Enterprise DVD cover.
- TrekCore has Voyager screen caps from "Heroes and Demons" posted.
- Sev Trek has posted the punchline finalists for the Piker HollowDeck cartoon.
- StarTrek.com's The Trek Life has a cartoon about people who post a lot on bulletin boards.
- In real life space news, Carolina Newswire has a press release on an event at Raleigh's interactive museum Exploris to celebrate the founding of The World Space Center, a non-profit organization committed to promoting awareness of the new space age, at which both special effects director Dan Curry and actor Walter Koenig (Chekov) will speak.
- And StarTrek.com notes that Swiss scientists using the Hubble Telescope have discovered that the Andromeda Galaxy — home of the Kelvans from "By Any Other Name" — is surrounded by numerous satellite "dwarf" galaxies.
Find more episode info in the Episode Guide.