Site ColumnsBy Caillan
November 24, 2002 - 4:30 PM
Today I went to the Queensland Premiere of 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets' at Warner Bros. Movie World. Unlike the 'Episode II' premiere (see here for the gory details), we actually had a star this time - Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) was on hand as the guest of honour and made a few witty remarks before the film started.
The downside of it all was that we had to wait outside the theatre under the hot Queensland sun for a good hour before the film started. I think we were about to collapse by the time we got until to the theatre (and we were certainly complaining about it), but then they gave us free popcorn and drinks, so that shut us up for a bit.
As for the film, the first half was absolutely terrific, and I adored Kenneth Branagh as Gilderoy Lockhart. The main problem was that it dragged a bit in the middle (you could hear seats creaking around the 1.5-2 hour mark), and really needed to be cut down further. Unfortunately, the scenes that would have had to go were the ones near the beginning, like Professor Sprout's class, and they were such great fun.
After the film we got to explore the theme park, and I was unfortunately conned into going on the Scooby Doo ride, which I thought would be quite harmless. Boy, was I ever wrong. Indoor rollercoasters are good, because generally you can't see what's going to happen next. However, with this one, the carriage is carried up a lift to the top of the rollercoaster, which is set in this great cavernous warehouse, with flashing strobe lights. I could see all the twists, turns, drops etc. awaiting me in the dark, and to make matters worse, my brother, who'd been on it before, was sitting beside me saying "this bit's a really scary" or "there's a sharp turn coming up," while I just hung onto the bar in front of me for dear life. Never again.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Should Starfleet have a sentient starship?
- Should Picard and Riker worked more as a team?
- Did the Gorn scare you as a child?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news items on November 24, 2000:
- Overnight Ratings for 'Nightingale'
Voyager came fourth in its timeslot with a 4.5 rating / 7 share behind series such as The West Wing and The Drew Carey Show.
- 'Flesh And Blood' Trailer Online
Paramount Pictures released the promo for the Voyager sweeps telefilm 'Flesh and Blood.'
More news can be found in the archives.
Below are the results of the most recent TrekToday poll:
,Thanks for voting! Please participate in our new poll, which asks you to rate 'Singularity.',
Today is the 45th birthday of Denise Crosby, who played Tasha Yar on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'Skin of Evil' at 2:00pm Eastern Time and TNG's 'Ensign Ro' at 8:00pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'The Enterprise Incident' at 10:00am Eastern Time, the Original Series's 'The Wolf In The Fold' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'Conundrum' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'Past Tense, Part II' at 4:00pm and Voyager's 'Year of Hell, Part I' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'The Way of the Warrior, Part II' at 06:00 GMT, TNG's 'New Ground' at 17:00 and Voyager's 'Unimatrix Zero, Part I' at 21:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing DS9's 'Duet' at 23:50. Thanks go out to Sci-Fi TV Schedules International!