Site ColumnsBy Caillan
June 24, 2001 - 10:21 AM
I really hate Tennis. Because of some obscure Tennis meet (I believe it's called 'Wimbledon'), 'The West Wing' won't be on next week! It's bad enough pushing aside Trek episodes which I've already seen, but brand spanking new episodes of 'The West Wing' shouldn't be treated this way.
I know they do it in the UK too. BBC2 took every opportunity to displace TNG, DS9 or Voyager with tennis, snooker, archery, cricket or basket-weaving. I remember on one afternoon DS9 was cancelled because of cricket, and a commentator had to make the announcement.
"Star Trek...erm...Deep...Space...Nine," he said, emphasising every syllable as if he was speaking a foreign language, "will be cancelled this evening." He then rambled on about cricketers being Star Trek fans or some other gibberish to fill in the time.
But stuff the out of date Trek Nine saddles us with: I want my West Wing!
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- 'The Cage': One of the best Trek episodes ever?
- How did you survive the Trekless years?
- In Science Fiction & Fantasy: Discuss the latest 'Farscape' episode, 'Green Eyed Monster', written by series star Ben Browder.
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news headlines on June 24th, 1999:
- Ron Moore To Leave Voyager?
TrekWeb reported that writer-producer Ronald D. Moore would be leaving Voyager after working on only a few episodes. Moore did indeed leave the staff, after writing the episode 'Survival Instinct' and working on the story for 'Barge Of The Dead.'
- About.com 'Trekkies' Review
About.com's Julia Houston posted her review of the documentary film, 'Trekkies.'"But still, as much as I did enjoy parts of the film, the message of Trekkies is really nothing more than, 'Ooooh. Look at the weirdos!'," she wrote. "There are no real insights into the fandom, no theories about the appeal of Star Trek, no sense of shared pleasure or joy. Just nerds on parade."
- 'What You Leave Behind' Ratings
The Star Trek Nielson Ratings Database posted the ratings for the DS9 finale, 'What You Leave Behind.' The episode scored at 5.4 rating, ranking seventh, making it the highest rated episode that season.
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'Plato's Stepchildren' at 10:00am Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'Whom Gods Destroy' at 10:00am Eastern Time and TNG's 'Devil's Due' at 11:00am.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Disaster' at 14:00 GMT, TNG's 'The Game' at 15:00 and TNG's 'Unification' at 16:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'Wink Of An Eye' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'Clues' at 12:00pm, a repeat of 'Let That Be Your Last Battlefield' at 4:00pm, DS9's 'The Search, Part II' at 5:00pm and Voyager's 'Year Of Hell, Part I' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'The Defector' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 00:00, and Voyager's 'Q2' at 20:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Sherlock Data Holmes' ('Elementary, Dear Data') at 16:00 ECT.
- In the Netherlands, Ned2 will be showing Voyager's 'Warhead' at 17:05 ECT. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!