Site ColumnsBy Christian
February 24, 2001 - 12:17 PM
Last year, TrekToday's first anniversary was already rather anti-climactic, with me being unable to launch the re-design on that date, as I had originally planned. This year, it's even worse, as we actually forgot about the anniversary until a day after the fact - yes, on Thursday TrekToday actually turned two.
It's really a pity we forgot about it, as a few weeks ago we were actually thinking about writing some nice articles to celebrate this, such as for instance a retrospective look at the past two years, but I guess that will just have to wait another year. One idea which we are going to go ahead with is a new Site Column - 'Trek Two Years Ago', in which each day we will present a look at three of the major headlines from that day two years ago.
Thanks, of course, go out to all of you have been visiting the site over the past two-years-and-two-days, and even more so to all those wonderful people who contributed feedback, news and articles to the site over that period - there are far too many of you to try to thank individually without forgetting some, but we're of course very grateful to you all!
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-In 'The Inner Light', why did the probe specifically target Picard?
-In General Sci-Fi: When did you become interested in your favourite non-Trek sci-fi series?
-Where do you think the final Voyager scene will be set?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
On the 24th of February 1999, we reported the following news at TrekToday:
- Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges Trailer - Mr. Vidiot released the trailer for this Bashir/Section 31 episode.
- Unreliable Rumours Department - An insider at Section 31 reported that Paramount execs were considering doing a new Voyager telemovie in the sixth season, and that a new Trek series would be released after the Star Wars hype died down.
- Today On TV - UPN aired 'Disease', the episode in which Kim fell in love with an alien woman.
- Hello World! - I mentioned I'd started submitting TrekToday to all the various Trek search engines, half of which are no longer around today. Submitting the site to all those search engines and announcing it on Usenet was actually quite useful, as site traffic doubled from 25 to 50 visitors per day from then on. Of course, now we get several times more visitors than that per hour :-).
Below are the results of the most recent TrekToday poll:
,Thanks for voting! The new poll is related to the TrekToday anniversary, and asks when you first visited the site:,
Today would have been the 71st birthday of Glenn Corbett, who appeared as Zefram Cochrane in the Original Series episode 'Metamorphosis', had he not sadly passed away in 1993. His birthyear is actually in dispute, according to the Internet Movie Database - some sources place his year of birth in 1929 or 1934.
Also, yesterday was the 62nd birthday of Majel Barrett, the widow of Gene Roddenberry. She has appeared in every Star Trek series to date - as Number One in the original pilot 'The Cage', as Nurse Chapel in the Original Series, as Lwaxana Troi in TNG and DS9, and as the Computer in all series.
Today's Television Listings
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Spirit Folk' at 4am (repeat at 1pm), DS9's 'Honor Among Thieves' at 5am (repeat at 13pm), TOS's 'Annihilate!' at 10am and TNG's 'The Chase' at 11am.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'Shakaar' at 0130, 'Facets' at 1400 and 'The Adversary' at 1500, Voyager's 'Vis-a-Vis' at 0600 (repeat at 1600) and 'The Omega Directive' at 1700 while Sky Premier Widescreen will be showing 'Star Trek: Insurrection' at 1200 (repeat at 1800). Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, BBC2 will show Voyagers 'Night' at 1710 Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, PayTV channel TV1 will show TOS episode 'A Taste of Amageddon' at 8pm and DS9 episode 'Battle Lines' at 10pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series' 'A Private Little War' at 10:00am Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series' 'Amok Time' at 10:00am Eastern Time and TNG's 'Frame of Mind' at 11:00am.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing three episodes of 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'. At 13:55 GMT 'Booby Trap' will be shown, at 14:55 'The Enemy' and at 15:50 'The Price'. BBC Two will be showing the Original Series' 'Metamorphosis' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!