Site ColumnsBy Caillan
July 23, 2002 - 1:27 PM
An interesting piece of junk mail appeared in the letterbox yesterday. It was one of those 'Hi, I'm your friendly neighbourhood Real Estate agent' cards, with the cheesy snapshot of the agent wearing an inane grin.
Only this time, on the other side, there was a recipe for Teriyaki prawns. I initially found this very puzzling. Why do Teriyaki prawns have to do with buying or selling a house? Having cooked the prawns, are you supposed to think 'Oooh, let's by a new house!' However, I think it's actually a far more cunning plan.
You see, the hapless resident (let's call him Bob) will gaze at the recipe (with the appropriately mouth-watering picture), think 'that looks tasty,' and file it away with all his other recipes. Next time Bob wants to cook something interesting, he opens up his recipe draw and sees the yummy Teriyaki prawns. Turning over the card to see what's on the other side, lo and behold, it's Felicity Scruggins, still grinning inanely, begging Bob to sell his house. This way, every time Bob goes to his recipe draw, Ms. Scruggins will be there. Thus, when Bob does want to buy or sell, he will remember Ms. Scruggins and those delicious prawns, and call her up.
Of course, I threw mine in the bin.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Which character would you want as a bodyguard?
- Will the Federation Council be seen in 'Nemesis'?
- In Science Fiction & Fantasy: What would be the best way to end Buffy?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news items on July 23, 2000:
- Interplay Fires 'Klingon Academy' Development Team
Several members of the 'Klingon Academy' development team were sacked soon after the game was released, according to artist Manuel Salazar. "It looks like Interplay lowerd the boom on us today," he said. "Many of the KA development team and other 14degrees east employees were layed off this afternoon. I don't think that I should mention who they are, that's up to them to decide."
- Site Columns
The results were split fairly evenly in a poll asking if readers preferred the term Trekker or Trekkie. Trekker scored 54.2%, while Trekkie wasn't too far behind with 45.7%.
More news can be found in the archives.
Today's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing the Next Generation episodes 'Too Short a Season' at 8:00 p.m Eastern Time and 'Up the Long Ladder' at 11:30 p.m.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'Operation: Annihilate!' at 6:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'Catspaw' at 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m Eastern Time, with TNG's 'Where Silence Has Lease' at 3:00 p.m, Ds9's 'Time's Orphan' at 4:00 p.m and Voyager's 'Prophecy' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky one will show the Next Generation episode 'Encounter at Farpoint (Part 2 of 2)' at 17:00 GMT. BBC2 will show Voyager's 'Homestead' at 18:50. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- At 8:00pm (7:00pm Central), UPN will be showing Enterprise's 'Shadows of P'Jem'. Here's how the official site describes the episode:
"Archer and the crew are disappointed to discover that T'Pol has been ordered by the Vulcan High Command to leave the Enterprise - and equally frustrated at her seeming indifference to leaving their ranks. T'Pol's last mission as a Starfleet officer, however, proves eventful when she and Archer are kidnapped by a militant faction on an alien planet and find themselves once again at the mercy of the volatile Andorians."
Further information can be found in the Trek Nation episode guide.
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'When the Bough Breaks' at 8:00pm Eastern Time and 'Manhunt' at 11:30pm.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'Amok Time' at 6:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'By Any Other Name' at 10:00am Eastern Time, 'I, Mudd' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'Elementary, Dear Data' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'The Sound of Her Voice' at 4:00pm, and Voyager's 'The Void' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'The Naked Now' at 17:00 GMT and Enterprise's 'Fight or Flight' at 18:00. BBC2 will be showing TNG's 'Pen Pals' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!