News BulletsBy Christian
November 21, 2001 - 5:36 PM
- The official Star Trek site is reporting that Patrick Stewart (Jean-Luc Picard) recently hosted a gala dinner in honour of Arthur C. Clarke organised by the Space Frontier Foundation. At the event, Stewart talked with Clarke, who lives in Sri Lanka, through a new three-dimensional holographic communication system, the first time it was demonstrated publicly.
- Roswell executive producer Jason Katim told the Sci-Fi Wire his "understanding" was that the series would be picked up for a full season by UPN this year. The show moved to the network at the start of this season, together with Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and is co-written by former Trek staff writer Ronald D. Moore.
- StarTrekMail.com, the official site's free email service, will cease to exist on the 31st of December, 2001. A Frequently Asked Questions document will be available on the site soon for the benefit of people with questions about this cancellation.
- UPN has added a video message from Scott Bakula (Jonathan Archer) to the United States Navy's aircraft carrier U.S.S. Enterprise to its web site. "We salute the brave men and women serving this country," Bakula said in the message. "And from the Starship Enterprise to the aircraft carrier Enterprise - Welcome Home."
- Totally Kate! has been updated with several photos. from the recent Vulkon Convention in Orlando, Florida, which was attended by Kate Mulgrew (Kathryn Janeway) and her husband Tim Hagan.
- According to the Digital Bits, Paramount will release the 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan' Special Edition DVD on the 25th of June, 2002. The first- and second-season DVD box sets of The Next Generation will be released on the 19th of March and the 7th of May, respectively.
- Arik Hesseldahl at Forbes has written an article on Star Trek's Universal Translator and a real-life device of the same that will translate a large variety of phrases spoken into it. The device is currently on sale for $250.
Find more episode info in the Episode Guide.