Site ColumnsBy Caillan
July 21, 2001 - 11:15 AM
I had the misfortune yesterday of tasting some of the worst Vanilla Slice in recorded history. Not that it was bad, per se, just rather rubbery.
You see, Vanilla Slice should be of a sufficiently creamy consistency to splurge from between the pastry when you press down on the top with your fork. When I applied this 'fork test' to the specimen in front of me, it just wobbled slightly.
To make matters worse, the filling looked like it was a cross between a radiation accident and a pot of jelly. Instead of a nice, soft, creamy vanilla filling, it was wobbly and far too sugary.
I guess the flourescent pink icing should have been a clue.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Do you think the Trek or Babylon 5 universe is more realistic?
- Why does Earth need a military?
- In Science Fiction & Fantasy: Discuss the latest Farscape episode, 'Scratch 'N' Sniff'.
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news headlines on July 21, 1999:
- Article: Our Future Goal
A new article by Tamara Thomas, entitled 'Our Future Goal,' was posted at the Trek Nation. In the article Thomas argued for a society based on Trekkian ideals. "The more I thought about it," she wrote, "my wish wasn't simply, 'Gee I wish I had a life just like they have on TV'. It was, 'I wish my world and society was driven by the ideals and goals that govern the world of Star Trek.'" The full article can be found here at the Trek Nation.
- 'Survival Instincts' News Item
The official site posted an article looking at the career of actor Vaughn Armstrong. The article mentioned that Armstrong would be playing the role of 'Two of Nine' in the upcoming Voyager episode 'Survival Instincts.' Armstrong did indeed appear in the episode, which was actually titled 'Survival Instinct.'
More news can be found in the archives.
In the July 11 article entitled Stewart Receives An Honorary Fellowship we reported that Patrick Stewart performed a one-man show entitled 'Uneasy Life Ahead.' We can now confirm that the title of the play was in fact 'Uneasy Lies The Head.' Thanks to 'T. Earl Grey' and David Payne for their assistance with this!
Today's Television Listings
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the original series episode 'The Squire of Gothos' at 10:00 a.m Eastern Time, followed by the Next Generation's 'Conundrum' at 11: a.m. Deep Space Nine's 'Improbable Cause' will be shown at 12:00 p.m, followed by Voyager's 'Night' at 1:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing Deep Space Nine's 'One Little Ship' at 15:00 GMT, followed by Voyager's 'Eminations' at 16:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'The Enemy Within' at 10:00am Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'Arena' at 10:00am Eastern Time and TNG's 'Power Play' at 11:00am.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Cause And Effect' at 14:00 GMT, TNG's 'The First Duty' at 15:00, and TNG's 'Cost Of Living' at 16:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing Voyager's 'Equinox - Teil 2' ('Equinox, Part II') at 16:00 ECT.
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing The Original Series's 'Obsession' at 10:00am and TNG's 'A Matter Of Perspective' at 2:30pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule