Site ColumnsBy Amy
March 21, 2001 - 6:55 PM
It’s quite frankly amazing how many bad puns you can come up with when you try. I was in a chat room this evening, dedicated to the works of Anne McCaffrey (the grand lady herself ahs actually been known to stop by them on a regular basis) and we somehow wound up trying to come up with the worst possible dragon/rider names. Some of them were (we thought, at least), hilarious – K’mart, rider of Woolworth, for example, while others were just, well, punny. T’tar, rider of Teeth, for example, or F’ntain, rider of Youth. But for those who want really bad puns, I recommend Piers Antony’s Xanth series of books – it’s almost entirely based around punnery – while I found it got a bit wearing after a while, reading one or two hasn’t hurt anyone severely to my knowledge.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Two years ago today, Sunday, March 21, 1999, these were some of the Trek Today headlines:
- More Final Chapter Info: The Great Link received more information on the last three episodes of DS9's Final Chapter - the then entitled 'Night Tremors', 'The Dogs Of War' and 'Kingdom Come'.
- STZone Closing Down: The Behaviour Group's STZone announced that it would be closing its doors on the 1st of April.
French site Actualitrek is not actually hosting the Q and A session with George Takei - the actor will be invited to a show on the Canal Jimmy channel and the fans will be able to participate and pose their questions through the special site that Actualitrek colaborated with the channel to create. More information can be found here.
Today's Television Listings
- At 9:00pm (8:00pm Central), UPN will be repeating Voyager's 'Critical Care'. Here's how the network describes the episode:
The Doctor is hijacked to a planet where critical medical treatment is dispensed by social rank and a patient's importance to the colony, leaving many in desperate need. The Doctor's techniques and knowledge are crucial to this alien society, but the kidnappers didn't plan on Voyager's tenacious search and rescue, nor the Doctor's inventiveness in deceiving the authoritarian rule.Thanks go out to MediaTrek for the above image, which is of course copyrighted by Paramount.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'The Empath' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Ex Post Facto' at 4:00am Eastern Time, DS9's 'Treachery, Faith and the Great River' at 5:00am, the Original Series' 'Bread and Circuses' at 10:00am, TNG's 'Genesis' at 12:00pm, 'Bread and Circuses' again at 4:00pm, DS9's 'Once More Into The Breach' at 5:00pm and Voyager's 'Emanations' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky Premier 3 will be showing 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country' at 9:10 and at 16:05 GMT, while Sky Cinema 1 will be showing 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' at 13:50 and at 20:00. At 17:00, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'The Quickening', and at 18:45, BBC Two will be showing DS9's 'Chrysalis'. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'In Purgatory's Shadow' at 17:15 CET, while Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Jetrel' at 18:40. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, the 9 Network will be showing Voyager's 'Once Upon A Time' at 11:00pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the original series episode, 'Elaan of Troyius' at 5pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Emanations' at 4am, DS9's 'Once More Into the Breach' at 5am, the original series episode 'Assignment: Earth' at 10am (repeat at 4pm), DS9's 'The Seige of AR-552' at 5pm and Voyager's 'Prime Factors' at 10pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show DS9's 'Body Parts' at 17:00 (repeat at 23:30), while Sky Ciname One will show 'Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan' at 20:00 (repeat at 01:40). Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Veronica will be showing DS9's 'By Inferno's Light' at 17:50 while NET5 will screen Voyager's 'Learning Curve' at 18:40 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, Pay Tv channel TV1 will show DS9's 'If Wishes were Horses' at 11pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule