Site ColumnsBy Amy
February 21, 2001 - 6:27 AM
Iíve come to the rather unsurprising conclusion that Iím woefully unfit. Iíve suspected it for some time now Ė after all, itís something of an occupational hazard for someone who likes to play with computers, but I wasnít quite sure of the extent of the damage until today, when I found myself breathless and more or less buggered after climbing 3 flights of stairs to get to my first (and very boring lecture) for the day. The very disturbing this was at this time last year, I could take those same steps two at a time all the way up Ė today I was practically crawling for the last flight. I think I need to exercise moreÖ which, due to my soon to be total lack of a vehicle of my own other than a bicycle, shouldnít be too much of a problem. Walking to the bus, cycling to the store or whatever. I just have to hope it doesnít kill me first.
Something else Iím not particularly thrilled about right now is the idea of catching public transportation clear out to university this semester. The thing is that I live just beyond the end of one train line (the Midland line), while Murdoch is towards the end of another (the Fremantle line), one which extends in virtually the opposite direction. Itís just under 90km to Uni by car, as I discovered today after finally remembering to reset the journey odometer, by following first Roe Hiway, then Tonkin then Leach. At 180km a round trip, and todayís fuel prices, Iím sure you can see why, poor, penniless student that I am, I wonít be driving for much longer. But the trip by public transport, in addition to taking about an hour longer, includes a trip to the heart of Perth Ė a detour which, as far as my admittedly poor grasp of geography tells me, will push the trip well over the 200km mark.
I think I may need to move closer.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Today is the birthday of Gary Lockwood who played Lt. Cmdr Gary Mitchell in 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'. Fraiser's Kelsey Grammer (Captain Morgan Bateson) also shares this birthday.
Today's Television Listings
- At 9:00pm (8:00pm Central), UPN will be showing new Voyager episode, 'Workforce Part I'. Here's how they describe the episode:
Abducted, brainwashed and integrated into an alien workforce, Janeway and her Voyager colleagues are unaware of their history together, nor of Chakotay's efforts to return them, body and mind, to Voyager. Even though he's held captive, Tuvok resists the continuing mind assimilation, but the others have become comfortable with their surroundings and new acquaintances, including Janeway, who has found a charming admirer.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing TOS's 'Gamesters of Triskelion' at 5pm
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show DS9's 'The Die Is Cast' at 01:15, 'Explorers' at 17:00 (repeat at 23:30) while BBC2 will show 'Afterimage' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, VOO will be showing Ds9's 'Shattered Mirror' at 17:20 while NET 5 will screen TNG's 'The Outrageous Okona' at 18:10 Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, Channel Nine will be showing Voyager's 'Night' at 11pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing TOS's 'A Piece of the Action' at 5pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Tsunkatse' at 4:30am, TOS's 'The Alternate Factor' at 10am (repeat at 4pm), TNG's 'Starship Mine' at 12pm, DS9's 'One Little Ship' at 5pm and Voyager's 'Collective' at 10pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'Family Business' at 17:00 (repeat at 00:00). Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Caretaker'. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!