Site ColumnsBy Caillan
November 20, 2001 - 10:48 AM
While watching the news this evening, what should I see but - lo and behold! - U.S. President George Bush pardoning a turkey.
Having first heard of this American tradition in The West Wing's 'Shibboleth,' I was intrigued to see it happening in real life. But the reporter noted that both turkeys had been pardoned and would spend the rest of the lives in the zoo.
So, what's going on here? In 'Shibboleth,' CJ went to great pains to ensure that both Eric and Troy were saved. Did George Bush enlist one of the turkeys a la President Bartlet? Inquiring minds want to know.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- What was the best Q episode?
- Participate in the 1st Annual Voyager Forum awards.
- If you could pick a DS9 character to be in Trek X, who would it be?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news items on November 20, 1999:
- Cult Times 'New Voyager' Feature
Robert Beltran (Chakotay) spoke to Cult Times magazine during the filming of the episode 'Alice.' "It's really the only way to get through a show like this," he said. "You can look just as silly taking a show like this too seriously. I take the work seriously, but at the same time you try to have fun; otherwise, it makes for very long, long, boring tedious days. Johnny [Fleck] and I always have a lot of fun working together."
Beltran was referring to actor John Fleck, who now has a recurring role as the Suliban Silik on Enterprise.
- Fed HQ Reviews 'Hidden Evil'
The latest Trek game, 'Hidden Evil,' wasn't very well-received by reviewers. Here's an extract from the review at Federation Headquarters:
To sum it up, nicely rendered scenery, good sound, but shallow puzzles, an unbalanced amount of action sequences, clumsy controls, and the fact that this game can be easily completed in just a few hours make this game a big disappointment. If you're a casual gamer who likes Trek or just someone who enjoys a compelling adventure title you might want to leave this one alone and look elsewhere. Extreme hardcore Trekkies need apply only.
More news can be found in the archives.
Today's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing the Next Generation episodes 'Loud as a Whisper' at 8:00 p.m Eastern time, with 'The Price' at 11:00 p.m.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episodes 'Court Martial' at 6:00 p.m, with 'Shore Leave' at 10:00 p.m.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'Catspaw' at 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m, with TNG's 'A Matter of Honor' at 3:00 p.m. DS9's 'After Image' will be at 4:00 p.m followed by Voyager's 'Shattered' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, E4 will show the Original Series episode 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' at 14:00 and 18:00 GMT. Sky Onwe will show the TNG episode 'Lower Decks' at 17:00. BBC 2 will show Voyager's 'Unimatrix Zero. Part One' at 18:00. followed by TNG's 'The Battle' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, RTL5 will show DS9's 'Rivals' at 18:00 ECt, while NET5 will show Voyager's 'Meld' at 18:30. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'The Schizoid Man' at 8:00pm Eastern Time, and TNG's 'The Vengeance Factor' at 11:00pm.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'The Return of the Archons' at 6:00pm Eastern Time and 'The Galileo Seven' at 10:00pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'I, Mudd' at 10:00am Eastern Time, with a repeat at 2:00pm. TNG's 'The Measure of a Man' will be showing at 3:00pm, DS9's 'Take Me Out To The Holosuite' at 4:00pm, and Voyager's 'Lineage' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Thine Own Self' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 00:00. BBC2 will be showing TNG's 'Hide and Q' at 18:45. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, RTL5 will be showing DS9's 'The Alternate' at 18:00 CET and NET 5 will be showing Voyager's 'Dreadnaught' at 18:30. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing TNG's 'First Contact' at 00:00. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule