Site ColumnsBy Lisa
August 20, 2001 - 8:59 PM
Ever have one of those days when your computer just will not co-operate? My PC had a serious bad hair day today.
It started off by angrily accessing its hard drive and CD-ROM incessantly. Programs loaded slowly, if at all. When I finally succeeded in coaxing the thing online, it growled at me and refused to check my email. Internet access was slow, and caused the thing to crash altogether after about ten minutes.
So this afternoon, I gave it some TLC. I updated all my programs and ran a full virus scan. I cleared out ancient downloaded files I'd forgotten about that were cluttering up space. I cleared caches, temp files and cookies. It will have to wait for a nice hard drive defragmenting until I go to sleep, because I'm an impatient little so-and-so. Touch wood, it seems to have done the trick.
Last night, I finished the new book I'd been reading 'Peril's Gate' by Janny Wurts. The worst thing about finishing an excellent book like this, is the knowledge that I'll have to wait about 2 years for the next in the series to appear, so I can find out what happens next. I may just go insane from the anticipation in the meantime. And read the whole 'Wars of Light and Shadows' series all over again several times. And desperately hope that this magnificent author types very very fast.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-What's your favourite Time Travel episode?
-What do you think of the latest Admiral Uniform?
-And in the Miscellaneous Forum: Which Gaming console is going to be successful?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Below are some of the most important headlines from TrekToday on Friday August 20, 1999:
- Brent Spiner Con Transcript
A transcript was posted online of an appearance of Brent Spiner (Data) at the Creation convention in San Francisco, on the 7th of August, including the following snippet:
Someone in the Audience: Is that true that the next Star Trek X will be the last one for you and Next Generation? Brent Spiner: Well, that's an interesting question. He's asking if Star Trek X will be the last movie that our group does. You know what? To be completely honest with you, I'm not even sure we're going to do number 10. I haven't heard anything about it. It's not like, they call me (BS: chuckling), they don't call me and say, ah, we're gonna be doing this in two years, and we really want you to do it. It really comes at the last second, they have this script and they say, ok, we're going to do this, do you want to be in it? Ah, so I have no idea if were even going to be in the next one. Hum, probably are, but we're all happy to do one more. We'd like to. A really good (weird?) one.
Troi and Barclay to Join Voyager?
Rumours first appeared online today about an appearance by the two Next Generation characters on Voyager. The pair made two appearances in Voyager's sixth season, which was shooting at the time, in 'Pathfinder' and 'Lifeline.'
More headlines from that day can be found in our August 1999 archive.
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'The City On The Edge Of Forever' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'The Immunity Syndrome' at 10:00am Eastern Time, with a repeat at 4:00pm, TNG's 'Starship Mine' at 1:00pm, DS9's 'The Sons Of Mogh' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Someone To Watch Over Me' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'The Mind's Eye' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 00:50. Voyager's 'The Swarm' will be shown at 21:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Der schüchterne Reginald' ('Hollow Pursuits') at 16:00 CET.
- In the Netherlands, RTL5 will be showing DS9's 'Penumbra' at 18:00 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing The Original Series's 'Miri' at 11:30pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'Opperation: Annihilate!' at 5:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'Private Little War' at 10:00 a.m Eastern Time, with a repeat at 4:00 p.m. The Next Generation's 'Lessons' will be at 12:00 p.m with DS9's 'The Bar Association' at 5:00 p.m and Voyager's '11:59' will be shown at 10:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show the Next Generation's 'In Theory' at 17:00 GMT. BBC 2 will show Voyager's 'Virtuoso' at 18:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing the Next Generation's 'Der Sammler' at 16:00 ECT.
- In the Netherlands, RTL5 will be showing DS9's 'Til Death Do Us Part' at 18:00 ECT. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!