Site ColumnsBy Caillan
March 19, 2003 - 10:11 AM
I've recently been reliving my days as a primary school student through my younger brother. Every semester his projects just seem to get more and more ludicrous. Just last weekend we had to put together a poster on knights, which meant I had to get reacquainted with the joys of silver card and glue sticks. Given that I have absolutely no artistic talent whatsoever, I was rather pleased with the finished product.
But a far more complicated assignment looms on the horizon. By the end of the month, we have to have built a catapult. Remembering having to build model bridges out of straws, I thought this would only be a small affair. But no, apparently these catapults have to be big - "One last year was as big as a car!" my brother reliably informed me - and made out of wood.
Unfortunately, I was never terribly gifted in Design & Technology (one of my efforts still sits on my bookcase - it's a box with a lid which is too small) and I have no idea how to go about constructing a working catapult. I'm not looking forward to next semester's assignment either - the topic is sea explorers. Replica of the Santa Maria, anyone?
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Will you be buying Elite Force II?
- Are Trekkers the hardest fans to please?
- Do you remember the long summer before "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II"?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news items on March 19, 2001:
- Scott Bakula Negotiating For Series V Lead Role
Sources told TrekToday that Scott Bakula, best known as Sam Beckett on Quantum Leap, was up for the part of Jackson Archer in Enterprise. Bakula did score the lead role, with the character being renamed Jonathan Archer.
- Brannon Braga Registers 'Enterprise' Domain
The StarTrekEnterprise.TV domain name was registered under the name of Trek writer-producer Brannon Braga. In other Series V news, a representative from Scott Bakula's agency denied knowledge of Bakula being cast in the lead role.
- Piller Reflects On 'Insurrection'
Michael Piller talked to Trek Brasilis about his experiences writing the film Star Trek: Insurrection. "The first script, quite frankly, was an absolute disaster," he said. "What it was was two movies instead of one and we had enough plot to fill a mini-series."
More news can be found in the archives.
Below are the results of the most recent TrekToday poll:
Thanks for voting! Please participate in our new poll, which asks whether you think Trek needs "fixing".
- Yesterday was the birthday of J.G. Hertzler, who played Martok on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and can be seen as Kolos in the upcoming Enterprise episode, "Judgment".
- Today is the 34th birthday of Connor Trinneer, who plays Chief Engineer Charles 'Trip' Tucker on Enterprise.
- Thursday is the 55th birthday of John de Lancie, who appeared as Q on The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager.