Site ColumnsBy Caillan
July 18, 2001 - 9:54 AM
It was with great joy yesterday afternoon that I discovered a rerun of the 80s detective series "Remington Steele" on TV.
Now, not only does the opening theme music rock, the show succeeds because of the witty banter between Steele (Pierce Brosnan) and Laura Holt (Stephanie Zimbalist), and of course, the always amusing Mildred (Doris Roberts).
On what other show would you find such classic exchanges as:
Steele: (looking at a man who has just been run over) But he's our villain!
Holt: You try telling him that, he's dead!
And Stephanie Zimbalist puts Seven of Nine to shame by climbing up ladders, jumping out of windows and running around the countryside whilst wearing high heels. Classic stuff.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- What do you think about 'Straight and Steady' as Archer's tagline?
- What do you think about Rick Berman writing for Enterprise?
- The Animated Series: Love it or hate it?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
This was the major news headline on July 18th, 1999:
- Raleigh Convention Follow-Up
Several Original Series cast members attended a convention in Raleigh, and Walter Koenig (Pavel Chekov) spoke about the longevity of Star Trek. "It can go on as long as people are enthusiastic," he said. "But I suppose we have a finite existence. There was a time when I thought we could go on indefinitely. But the times are changing, and I can see a time when we will not be on the road. It's inevitable."
More news can be found in the archives.
Today's Television Listings
- At 9:00pm (8:00pm Central), UPN will be showing a two hour telemovie consisting of Voyager's 'Flesh and Blood, Parts One and Two.' Here's how the official site describes the episodes:
The U.S.S. Voyager answers a distress call from a Hirogen training facility, only to find a holographic environment littered with Hirogen corpses. The holographic technology given to the Hirogen by Captain Janeway for hunting training has been modified to the point where the prey have become the hunters. The holograms have not only become self-aware, but are essentially a new race, seeking refuge from "organic" slavery and brutality. Seeking to liberate one of "their own," the holograms kidnap the Doctor, who soon finds himself torn between his loyalties to Voyager and his holographic brethren.
Lt. Torres has been kidnapped by the renegade Holograms led by Iden, who wants her help to modify a photonic field generator so they can create a new society on a Class-Y planet he calls "Ha'Dara" or "Home of Light." But the Doctor, who has allied himself with the Holograms, is concerned that Iden is showing signs of megalomania. Meanwhile, the Hirogen hunters who made the Holograms too powerful are determined to hunt them down, threatening to also turn Captain Janeway and her crew into prey if they interfere. But Voyager, with help from Hirogen engineer Donik, won't be left behind.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'Charlie X' at 5:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'Balance Of Terror' at 10:00am Eastern Time, with a repeat at 4:00pm, TNG's 'Hero Worship' at 12:00pm, DS9's 'Distant Voices' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'One' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing the Next Generation episode 'The Best of Both Worlds, Part Two' at 17:00 GMT. Voyager's 'Infinite Regress' will be shown at 22:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing The Next Generation's 'Klingonenbegegnung' at 16:00 ECT.
- In the Netherlands, RTL 5 will be showing DS9's 'His Way' at 18:00 ECT. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'Shore Leave' at 10:00am Eastern Time, with a repeat at 4:00pm, TNG's 'Violations' at 12:00pm, DS9's 'Through The Looking Glass' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Hope And Fear' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Family' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 00:00, and Voyager's 'Bliss' at 22:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Galavorstellung' ('Peak Performance') at 16:00 ECT, with a repeat at 03:00.
- In the Netherlands, RTL5 will be showing DS9's 'The Reckoning'at 18:00 ECT. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, Channel 9 will be showing Voyager's 'Think Tank' at 12:00am. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule