Site ColumnsBy Caillan
June 18, 2001 - 7:10 AM
Sigh. IGN Filmforce reported that "talks are underway" to make Gladiator 2.
I suppose this idea came from the same person who thought it would be cool to split up the film's music onto two CDs - 'Music From Gladiator' and 'More Music From Gladiator.' They're obviously trying to make more money out of it, but I don't see any creative reason to make a prequel or a sequel: the story has been told.
Nevertheless, producer Douglas Wick assures us that it'll only get made if there's a good story. "We're looking at lots of options," he said. "You don't finally do something like that unless you have a dazzling story to tell. What we certainly won't do is some shadow of the first one to grind out a few bucks."
I at least hope that Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard collaborate on the music again - the score was one of the best I've heard in recent years.
Thanks to Tiberius for alerting me to this!
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- The deflector dish - necessary or not?
- Flashback to TNG's 'Skin Of Evil'.
- In Science Fiction and Fantasy: Chat about the latest Farscape episode, 'Thanks For Sharing'.
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major headlines posted on June 18, 1999:
- 'Equinox' Novelization Announced
Pocket Books editor John Ordover announced that the novelization of the Voyager two-parter, 'Equinox' would be written by Diane Carey. Carey will also be writing the novelization of the Voyager finale, 'Endgame,' which is due out next month.
- James Cromwell Chat Transcript
ET Online hosted a chat with James Cromwell, who played Zefram Cochrane in 'Star Trek: First Contact.' Asked about his experiences on Trek, Cromwell said that "it was interesting. I had worked on the television show a couple times, so I knew everybody. So actually making the film was effortless and a lot of fun. I thought it was a good script and I enjoyed my character immensely."
- TV Zone Trek Features
The latest edition of the TV Zone magazine not only featured an interview with Ethan Phillips (Neelix), but also a review of Volume 2 of 'Strange New Worlds,' an anthology of fan-written short stories. "It's no surprise – this is superior fan fiction," wrote reviewer Megan O'Neill. "If they aren't all quite as good collectively as SNW I's stories, well, I'm not complaining. Given the short life left to Voyager and Deep Space Nine, I'm glad for any new Trek. That this collection includes some excellent bits is just icing."
Today is the 78th birthday of Robert Ellenstein, who not only played Steven Miller in TNG's 'Haven' but also the Federation President in 'Star Trek IV: The Voyager Home.'
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series episode 'Is There No Truth In Beauty?' at 5:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series episode 'For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky' at 10:00 a.m Eastern Time, repeated at 4:00 p.m. The Next Generation's 'Reunion' will be shown at 12:00 p.m. DS9's 'Crossover' is at 5:00 p.m, with Voyager's 'Day of Honour' at 10:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing the Next Generation's 'The Bonding' at 17:00 GMT. Voyager's 'Human Error' will be shown at 20:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing the Next Generation's 'Begegnung mit der Vergangenheit' at 16:00 ECT.
- In the Netherlands, Nederland 2 will show Voyager's 'The Fight' at 17:05 ECT, and rtl5 will show DS9's 'The Dogs of War' at 18:00. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'Spectre Of The Sun' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'The Tholian Web' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'Future Imperfect' at 12:00pm, a repeat of 'The Tholian Web' at 4:00pm, DS9's 'The Collaborator' at 5:00pm, and Voyager's 'Nemesis' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'Booby Trap' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 23:50. BBC2 will be showing Voyager's 'Dragon's Teeth' at 18:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Die Verschwörung' ('Conspiracy') at 16:00 ECT.
- In the Netherlands, Ned2 will be showing Voyager's 'Think Tank' at 17:05 ECT. RTL5 will be showing DS9's 'What You Leave Behind, Part I' at 18:00, and Yorin will be showing 'Star Trek III: The Search For Spock' at 21:05. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!