Site ColumnsBy Christian
April 18, 2001 - 11:15 PM
It's funny how that happens - just when you think you'll actually be able to catch up on everything and get some extra sleep, along comes a John Logan interview and there go another two hours and you're left wide awake, destroying all hopes you had of a bit more rest. Oh well.
On the new server front, things have also been a bit delayed. Rather than this weekend, it now looks like we'll be moving to the new server the weekend thereafter. Fortunately this server at least shouldn't be as slow anymore at peak times - I archived a bunch of threads from the Trek BBS this morning, meaning the server now takes a lot less time to process the threads. Hopefully that should prevent the server from coming to a slow halt every evening, as it has been doing for the past few weeks.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-Don't look surprised if the main page suddenly shows a lot less threads than you expected - we archived quite a few of the threads.
-What are the best critical looks at Star Trek that have been published?
-Have you ever visited the Star Trek sets?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Below are some of the most important headlines that appeared on TrekToday on Sunday the 18th of April, 2001:
- Trek BBS Opens - Exactly two years ago, our Star Trek discussion forums were officially opened when I posted the following: "I'm happy to announce that, as of now, the Trek BBS has officially opened! Here you'll be able to talk with your fellow Trek fans about pretty much anything you want - from the latest rumours to your thoughts on the next Trek series to the hottest new Star Trek games!" Nowadays, the BBS of course has well over 3500 members and is still rapidly growing - click here to join the family.
- No DS9 Movie Anytime Soon - A day earlier, rumours had circulated that, according to René Auberjonois, a DS9 movie was "absolutely certain," but on this day it was reported that this was highly unlikely, as the highly expensive Promenade sets had already been torn down.
- Naomi Wildman Appearing In Voyager Finale - Sadly, we couldn't yet look two years ahead; this was referring to the then-season finale, 'Equinox.'
Unlike what we reported in today's News Bullets, the Canadian CityTV did not air 'Author, Author' early by mistake, but rather rescheduled it to make room for a movie. 'Friendship One' next week will be airing on Monday rather than on Wednesday, while 'Natural Law' will be airing on Tuesday, the 1st of May, for similar reasons. Thanks go out to Marianne and Henry Lee for this!
Today is the 33rd birthday of Ashley Judd, who appeared in the TNG episodes 'Darmok' and 'The Game' as Ensign Robin Lefler. She has since gone on to become a major movie star, recently signing on for the lead role in 'Catwoman.'
Today's Television Listings
In the United States, UPN will of course be airing the new Voyager episode 'Author, Author.' Here's how the official Star Trek site describes the episode:
As the U.S.S. Voyager gets closer and closer to the Alpha Quadrant, a new means of direct yet brief communication with Starfleet is established, allowing the crew a few minutes each to communicate with family and friends. The Doctor may not have any family or friends on Earth, but he does have a holo-novel to pitch to publishers - the story of a ship stranded on the other side of the galaxy with a strangely familiar crew; a crew that barely tolerates their holographic doctor who lives in virtual slavery...
Please note that the above image is copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'The Menagerie, Part Two' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series' 'The Naked Time' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'Symbiosis' at 12:00pm, 'The Naked Time' again at 4:00pm, DS9's 'Emissary, Part Two' at 5:00pm and Voyager's 'Prototype' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'The Big Goodbye' at 17:00 and at 23:30 GMT. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, Yorin will be showing DS9's 'Statistical Probabilities' at 17:15 CET, while Net5 will be showing Voyager's 'Investigations' at 18:40. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
- In Australia, TV1 will be showing DS9's 'In The Hands Of The Prophets' at 11:00pm. Thanks go out to the Australian Babylon 5 & Star Trek air schedule