Site ColumnsBy Christian
February 18, 2001 - 9:41 PM
I finally went to see 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' this evening, and really liked it - I'd say it would certainly deserve to win that Best Picture Oscar, though I've only seen 'Gladiator' of the other nominated pictures, so I'm not sure if I really can judge. ('Traffic' and 'Chocolat' were both advertised as 'Coming Soon' before this film started - it seems I'm going to have to be at the cinema a few more times over the coming weeks)
During the first part of the film, I actually wasn't that impressed with it. I thought the film was moving a bit slowly, and the sound quality seemed to be very bad, but that turned out to be the cinema's fault. But of course, when the rooftop scenes started I was blown away, and as the focus of the story shifted to Jen it managed to drag me in a lot more - at first I was expecting the story to be about Li Mu Bai and Shu Lien instead. (Oh, and yes, I cheated and looked up those names at the IMDB)
I'm not really sure yet what to do with the ending, but I hope that'll come after a few more viewings. Or maybe after reading the book which according to the credits the film is based on - does anyone know if a translation exists?
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-In the Miscellaneous forum: What did you think about 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'?
-How would you rate all of the main characters?
-Are Bajor's Prophets the same species as the Q?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series' 'Obsession' at 10:00am Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series' 'A Taste Of Armageddon' at 10:00am Eastern Time and TNG's 'Face of the Enemy' at 11:00am.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky Cinema 2 will be showing 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' at 11:10 and at 17:05 GMT. Sky One will be showing three TNG episodes - 'The Survivors' at 14:00, 'Who Watches The Watchers' at 15:00 and 'The Bonding' at 16:00. Finally, BBC Two will be showing the Original Series' 'Catspaw' at 18:55. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing an Original Series mini-marathon tomorrow, beginning at 7:00am Eastern Time with 'The Doomsday Machine' and ending at 6:00pm with 'The Savage Curtain'. The full set of episodes airing tomorrow can be found here on the official Star Trek site.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series' 'This Side Of Paradise' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'Tapestry' at 12:00pm, 'This Side Of Paradise' again at 4:00pm, DS9's 'Waltz' at 5:00pm and finally Voyager's 'Virtuoso' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, 'Star Trek: Insurrection' will be showing on Sky Premier 2 at 10:10 and at 19:00 GMT. On Sky One, DS9's 'Improbable Cause' will be shown at 17:00 and at 23:30, while at 20:00 Sky One will begin showing of Voyager's seventh season with 'Unimatrix Zero'. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In the Netherlands, DS9's 'Rules of Engagement' will be shown at 17:20 CET on Veronica, while TNG's 'Where Silence Has Lease' will air at 18:05 on Net5. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!