Site ColumnsBy Amy
January 18, 2001 - 2:52 PM
I love bumper stickers. Ok, this is a rather interesting way to start of my first column in a while, but it's true – I do love reading people's bumper stickers. This occurred to me yesterday while following a truck with a sticker that read, oddly enough, 'Go the Goat'. Go figure. Which is exactly what I did – I spent most of the drive home wondering exactly what the hell it meant. Bumper stickers, I find, tend to come in about 5 or six flavours, that is: Pets & Organizations, Driving, Religious, Romance & Family life, General Humour and Bizarre – the goat one fits in that last category. There are also certain stickers that are universal, such as "Horn Broken, Watch for finger" or "I've found Jesus... He's in my trunk", "I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men and other fantasy creatures", "my karma ran over your dogma", "Cover me. I'm changing lanes"... the list is endless. Stickers you're most likely to see around Perth are "My other car is a Goggo Mobile", "My other car is a …" (in one instance, an oxy-via, but we had this custom made", "Magic Happens", a picture of a small boy/teen urinating on various car manufactures (they almost always appear on Holdens. Australians have a very special relationship with Holdens), "My Dog goes to university" (this is the Murdoch Uni Vet school sticker) and a stack of others. I myself have two stickers on my van – an organisational one (for St. John) and one of 'The Dream' bumper stickers from the Olympics – no, it's not Wombo, they were sold out of him, but I did manage to get one of the gymnastics one with five of the, ah, required moves – the Flat Bag, Battered Save, Crazy Date, Hello Boys and Dutch Wink. Unfortunately, you need to have seen (and remember) Roy and HG's 'The Dream' in order to get the joke. Having rambled on about not too much today, I'll round off with listing some of my personal favourites:
- I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- FORGET ABOUT WORLD PEACE...VISUALIZE USING YOUR TURN SIGNAL (people who don't indicate *really* and I mean *really* bug me).
- Everyone thinks I'm psychotic, except for my friends deep inside the earth. (I want this one)
- www.orgy.mypace.now.ok (this is on the back of a friend of mine's car who got it solely so she could watch people's reactions I her rear-view mirror)
- (the inevitable) Beam me up, Scotty! They're no intelligent life down here! (or) Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes!
- Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.
- Vegetarian: Indian word for lousy hunter
- Crime wouldn't pay if the government ran it.
- Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
- Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Good With Ketchup.
- We are Microsoft. Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated.(all too true)
- Of course you're faster, but I'm driving in front of you.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Voyager reviews? There's Da Woim's or RoJoHen's, while general threads about the episode include The Beginning of the End - Shattered Related (Spoilers), SPOILERS of SEASON 7 - shattered and The Fate of Seska
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Today On TV
-In the United States, the Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'The Conscience of the King' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
-In Canada, Space! will be showing Voyager's 'Dark Frontier' at 4am, TOS's 'The Mark of Gideon' at 10am (repeat at 4pm), TNG's 'A Matter of Time' at 12pm, DS9's 'By Inferno's Light' at 5pm and Voyager's 'The Disease' at 10pm
-In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'Whispers' at 5pm Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
-In The Netherlands, Net 5 will be showing TNG's 'Where No One Has Gone Before'at 18:10 CET. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Below are the results of the most recent TrekToday poll:
It looks as though we'll be doing the full-spoiler summary if any new scripts appear online... all 7 pages of summary. ;) Thanks to everyone who voted! This time around we ask what you thought of 'Shattered'.