Braga Is Hopeful 'Threshold' Will ContinueBy Michelle
November 16, 2005 - 10:27 PM
Brannon Braga said that "indications are good" for his new series Threshold to be picked up for a full season, though other analysts note that it is still on the fence and a "Save Threshold" fan campaign has already been launched.
Braga, who co-created both Star Trek: Enterprise for UPN and Threshold for CBS, told Sci Fi Wire that he "would imagine that they'd expect bigger numbers than what we've been getting" in the show's Friday night time slot. At the same time, he pointed out, "our numbers have been decent, and our demographic has been decent. And we haven't dropped. In fact, we've built slightly week to week."
The series returns with new episodes on Tuesday nights at 10 p.m. starting November 22nd. Close to Home, the show with which Threshold is trading time slots, was very successful for CBS its first week on Friday nights at 9 p.m., bringing in nearly 50 percent more viewers in the time slot than the network has achieved had this season to date. The switch puts Threshold into competition with Law and Order: SVU, which The Washington Post suggested was responsible for Close To Home's previously mediocre ratings.
E! Online's Kristin described the show as "riding the fence right now" and suggested that fans spread the word about its move to Tuesday nights. CBS has bought 13 episodes of the series and ordered three additional scripts, but is waiting to see how the show rates on Tuesday nights before making a decision about the remainder of the season.
Meanwhile, fans have already begun a Save Threshold campaign similar to those for other science fiction series. It is strongly suggested that fans send hand-written letters rather than forms or petitions to Les Moonves - a veteran of similar campaigns waged by Star Trek fans to save Enterprise.