Site ColumnsBy Caillan
March 16, 2002 - 3:51 PM
Computers can be such stubborn creatures. Yesterday, I tried to install Windows XP onto my computer - little did I know that it would be an exhausting ordeal.
The installation went fine, at first, but when I rebooted the computer it asked for a password. This was very strange, especially since I'd never entered any password. After several hours of hair-pulling and teeth-gnashing, I eventually managed to reboot the computer using the disc, wipe the original installation and re-install it all again.
However, I got a nasty shock when it successfully loaded, since all my desktop files had apparently vanished from the computer. That's a year's worth of writings, essays, articles, mp3s, video clips, programs, you name it - it wasn't there. Eventually, to my great relief, the computer had nicely saved it all in an obscure directory. Of course, all my software had vanished (and much of it needs to be upgraded to work with XP), but at least I was finally able to get on the computer again.
Was it worth it? Well, the interface is certainly very pretty, but I must say, it runs much faster and more efficiently than ME and isn't plauged by constant crashes. I just need to update my DVD-ROM driver, and then we're away!
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Has the Internet affected your enjoyment of Enterprise?
- What did you think of 'The Galileo Seven'?
- Which Trek character would you invite to a dinner party?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
These were some of the major news items on March 16, 2000:
- McNeill Speaks At Convention
Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris) dropped some spoilers for the remainder of Voyager's sixth season at a convention. The actor said Paris would get his rank back ('Unimatrix Zero'), that the Borg children would be involved in more stories ('The Haunting of Deck Twelve') and that Voyager would contact the Alpha Quadrant again ('Life Line').
- Higher 'Good Shepherd' Ratings
Voyager's 'Good Shepherd' improved on the series's poor ratings performance in February and early March, scoring a 5.1 rating, 8 share.
More news can be found in the archives.
Today's Television Listings
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'Journey to Babel' at 10:00 a.m Eastern Time, with TNG's 'Yesterday's Enterprise' at 11:00 a.m, DS9's 'Past Tense Pt.2' at 12:00 p.m, and Voyager's 'Scorpion (Part 1)' at 1:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show DS9's 'Facets' at 14:00 GMT, with TNG's 'Shades of Gray' at 15:00, 'The Ensigns of Command' at 16:00. Voyager's 'Living Witness' will be shown at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'The Battle' at 2:00pm Eastern Time, 'Allegiance' at 3:00pm, 'Captain's Holiday' at 4:00pm, 'The Inner Light' at 5:00pm, 'Starship Mine' at 6:00pm and 'Bloodlines' at 7:00pm.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing Enterprise's 'Silent Enemy' at 8:00pm Eastern Time.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'The Adversary' at 14:00 GMT, TNG's 'Evolution' at 15:00, TNG's 'The Survivors' at 16:00 and Enterprise's 'Cold Front' at 17:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!