Site ColumnsBy Caillan
July 15, 2002 - 3:59 PM
I got to play the anxious parent today when I took my brother to an audition for a television commercial. He'd done a practice screen test for the casting agency with his drama group about a year ago, and they remembered him for this ad.
When we got there, there were several children and their parents sitting around - but no one in charge. Everyone else, obviously veterans of these sorts of auditions, was ready and waiting to go with their forms filled out. The first section on the (rather menacing) form was "List how many commercials have you appeared in in the last three years." I left it blank. He doesn't have an agent either, so that was more white space.
While I was measuring my brother (they required height, chest, waist and hip measurements), several other children appeared, decked out in their summer clothes. As he was supposed to be playing on the beach in the ad, I tried to get my brother to take off his jumper before going in - we nearly came to blows over that.
Forty-five minutes later he went in - we heard laughter coming from inside the room, so I presumed it must be going well. He told me later he and his audition "family" had to pretend Dad had just fallen into the sea and laugh at his misfortune. Of course, I'm still not quite sure how a family at the beach fits into the commercial - it's an ad for the Victorian Transport Commission.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
- Which is worse - assimilation or death?
- What is the most illogical thing Spock ever did?
- Why did the crew keep changing uniforms in 'Star Trek: Generations'?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Today's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing the Next Generation episodes 'Hide and Q' at 8:00 p.m Eastern Time, with 'The Royale' at 11:00 p.m.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series episode 'A Taste of Armageddon' at 6:00 p.m Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series episode 'Amok Time' 10:00 a.m and 2:00 p.m Eastern Time, with TNG's 'Symbiosis' at 3:00 p.m, DS9's 'Inquisition' at 4:00 p.m, and Voyager's 'Nightingale' at 5:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will show TNG's 'Pre-emptive Strike' at 16:00 GMT, wiht Voyager's 'Fuure'e End, Part One' at 17:00. TNG's 'Yesterday's Enterprise' will be shown at 21:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- TNN will be showing TNG's 'Haven' at 8:00pm Eastern Time and 'Time Squared' at 11:00pm.
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing the Original Series's 'This Side of Paradise' at 6:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the Original Series's 'The Gamesters of Triskelion' at 10:00am Eastern Time, 'Who Mourns For Adonais?' at 2:00pm, TNG's 'Skin of Evil' at 3:00pm, DS9's 'In The Pale Moonlight' at 4:00pm, and Voyager's 'Flesh and Blood, Part I' at 5:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'All Good Things, Part I' at 16:00 GMT and Voyager's 'Future's End, Part II' at 17:00. BBC2 will be showing Voyager's 'Natural Law' at 18:45.