Site ColumnsBy Lisa
June 15, 2001 - 12:23 PM
"EBay is Evil," Caillan told me yesterday. And about half the time, I agree.
I was idly browsing the UK version yesterday, and showing my poor, long-suffering friend and fellow TT editor the items that caught my eye. There were a lot of items.
Caillan pointed out to me the fact that window shopping in this manner is highly depressing, because it reminds us of all those things we would buy, if only our bank account showed a positive balance. And while I agree with him that this temptation is bad, I do think eBay is a good thing.
Indeed, it's the reason I own my prized 9 inch Plastic Incarnation of the Icon Captain Janeway, and a copy of the script to the best Voyager episode in the world ever, Counterpoint. These items enrich my life considerably, as I'm sure you can imagine. And while I briefly considered explaining to Caillan the reasons why owning a boxed set of the Final Fantasy VIII figures would also benefit my general well being, I decided he just wouldn't understand.
Even more depressing than not having the money to pay for the item of your dreams, is being outbid on an item. More than once, have I been comfortable for days in the fact that I was the highest bidder on an item, and gone to bed secure in the knowledge that I would own it in the morning, and awakened to find I'd been outbid by some sneak in a more advantageous time zone.
This is the reason I have decided to reign in my enthusiasm for the item that currently holds my interest. I will prolongue the torture by checking up on the item regularly, making sure that no evil miscreant doesn't sneak up and steal it from my grasp. And when that counter ticks down to the last day of bidding, I will swoop down and pounce.
And if anyone steals a certain X Files product from me at the last minute, you will be able to hear my screech of frustration on the other side of the Atlantic.
Trek BBS Today
Below are some of the topics currently being discussed at the Trek BBS:
-Make up your own Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not a... lines.
-Which Captain broke the Prime Directive the least ammount of times?
-Is this the REAL reason for why Chakotay is boring?
More topics can be found at the Trek BBS!
Trek Two Years Ago
Below are some of the most important headlines from TrekToday on Tuesday June 15th 1999:
- Shatner Mentioned in 'Hollywood's Bad Boys
The National Enquirer posted an article about 'Hollywood's Bad Boys' looking at: "extramarital affairs to spouse abuse and barroom brawls, cross-dressing and sizzling home porn tapes." The article included a short memtion of William Shatner's marital troubles.
- 'Extrem Measures' Ratings
The ratings for Deep Space Nine's third to last episode were availbale.
Despite some early-week critics that spread some bad word-of-mouth about "Extreme Measures," the episode still managed to keep the Final Chapter winning streak up, earning a 4.4 and ranking 12th. That's flat from last week's "Tacking Into the Wind" and the episode that aired this week last year was a rerun (though this episode did perform slightly below the nearest comparable show -- "Time's Orphan" of last May)
You can still read the full report at the Star Trek Neilsen Ratings Database.
For more news from that day, please visit our June 1999 archives.
Today's Television Listings
- The Sci-Fi Channel will be showing The Original Series's 'The Paradise Syndrome' at 5:00pm Eastern Time.
- In Canada, Space! will be showing The Original Series's 'Is There In Truth No Beauty' at 10:00am Eastern Time, TNG's 'Suddenly Human' at 12:00pm, a repeat of 'Is There In Truth No Beauty' at 4:00pm, DS9's 'The Wire' at 5:00pm and Voyager's 'The Gift' at 10:00pm.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing TNG's 'The Survivors' at 17:00 GMT, with a repeat at 00:00. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing TNG's 'Die schwarze Seele' ('Skin Of Evil') at 16:00 ECT and Voyager's 'Der Spuk auf Deck Zwölf' ('The Haunting Of Deck Twelve') at 20:15.
- In the Netherlands, Ned2 will be showing Voyager's 'The Disease' at 17:05 ECT, and RTL5 will be showing DS9's 'Extreme Measures' at 18:05. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!
Tomorrow's Television Listings
- In Canada, Space! will be showing the original series episode 'Spectre of the Gun' at 10:00 a.m Eastern time. An hour later at 11:00 a.m the Next Generation;s 'Remember Me' will be shown. At 12:00 p.m Deep Space Nine's 'The Wire' will be followed by Voyager's 'The Gift' at 1:00 p.m.
- In the United Kingdom, Sky One will be showing DS9's 'Sons and Daughters' at 14:00 GMT followed by 'The Adversary' at 15:00. At 16:00 a two hour broadcast of Voyager's pilot episode 'Caretaker' will be shown. Thanks go out to the Great Link for this!
- In Germany, Sat.1 will be showing the original series episode 'Die Wolkenstadt' at 14:00 ECT. Voyager's 'Liebe inmitten der Sterne' will be shown at 15:00.
- In the Netherlands, Nederland 2 will show Voyager's 'Course: Oblivion' at 17:05. Thanks go out to StarTrek.nl for this!