New Series Profile: 'Jake 2.0'By Caillan
May 15, 2003 - 11:20 PM
With the axing of the short-lived The Twilight Zone, Enterprise will return this fall with a new companion, the science fiction, action-adventure series, Jake 2.0.
The protagonist is Jake Foley, a young, slightly geeky National Security Agency technician who harbours a secret desire to rise from his low-level position and become an agent himself, according to a UPN press release. During a "freak accident" he is infected with nanites, which give him a dazzling array of superpowers, including "superhuman strength, lightning-fast speed, heightened hearing, razor sharp vision and the telepathic abilities to communicate with computers".
When Jake's newfound abilities are discovered, the National Security Agency places him at the centre of a new Special Ops team. But once he is thrust into his new role as a secret agent, Jake is forced to juggle his two lives as a superhero and a regular, twenty-something guy looking to enjoy life and find love.
Jake 2.0 was created by Silvio Horta, who was previously executive producer on the Sci-Fi Channel series, The Chronicle. David Greenwalt, whose credits include The X-Files, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Miracles, will serve as showrunner and executive producer. Gina Matthews (What Women Want, Urban Legend) and Grant Scharbo (Deep Core) will also executive produce the series.
The show's regular cast includes:
- Christopher Gorham as the titular Jake Foley, who accomplishes "every red-blooded American guy's dream to be either a secret agent or a superhero", only he gets to be both at the same time. Gorham starred as Neil Taggart on Showtime's Odyssey 5 and featured in Felicity and Party of Five.
- Marina Black as Sarah Heywood. Sarah is described as a "beautiful congressional staffer" who is the object of Jake's affections. Black is probably best known for her recurring role as Parker McKenna on HBO's Six Feet Under. Her other credits include Swordfish and Special Unit 2.
- Matt Czuchry as Darin Metcalf, Jake's best friend and roommate. Czuchry has appeared in Young Americans, 7th Heaven and The Practice.
- Philip Anthony-Rodriguez as Kyle Duarte. Duarte, a senior NSA operative, is described as "an intense and talented former field agent now working behind a desk". Anthony-Rodriguez guest starred as Juan in the Enterprise episode, "Horizon".
- Judith Scott as Louise Beckett, "a powerful senior agent". Scott played coroner Jenna Williams in the first season of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. Her other credits include LA Doctors, Frasier, The Guardian and 24.
- Keegan Connor Tracy as Diane Hughes, described as a "research doctor desperate to understand Jake's unlimited powers". Tracy previously starred in Final Destination 2, and has appeared in Dark Angel and Seven Days.
Jake 2.0 will air at 9:00 p.m. Wednesday on UPN from this fall.