News BulletsBy Michelle
January 15, 2006 - 11:19 PM
- John de Lancie (Q) will attend the premiere of the Black Holes film at the Clark Planetarium in Utah.
- StarTrek.com reports on Trek connections in the new season of 24, where Enterprise's Manny Coto is now a writer and Peter Weller (Paxton) has just joined the cast. Though she is no longer on the series, the best known Trek alumna on 24 was Penny Johnson Jerald (Kasidy Yates), who played Sherry Palmer.
- Canada.com notes that Tory leader Stephen Harper is a big Trekkie. "Like, huge. And it has to be the classic series, from the 1960s - none of that Next Generation, Deep Space Nine crap." A number of Star Trek stars from William Shatner (Kirk) to Nicole deBoer (Ezri) were born in Canada.
- Shatner's Boston Legal character Denny Crane has a cell phone (upon which he receives racy photos of his new love interest) that plays the Star Trek communicator chirp when he opens it, as several alert viewers noted.
- TheFandom.com is selling anniversary plaques commemorating Star Trek: The Motion Picture with a signed photo of Shatner.
- And Shatner has vowed to keep acting for as long as he can, notes ContactMusic.com, which quotes the actor as saying,
It's not like I'm working in a coalmine. I think most actors would like to think they'll still be in demand at this age...I'm very grateful that I'm still working, so I won't stop soon.
- The Star-Telegram celebrates famous El Paso natives including Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry.
- Battlestar Galactica star Tricia Helfer is interviewed in the Edmonton Sun, which comments on producer Ron Moore, saying, "Compared with Moore's previous, and safe, writing for the now-fluffy Star Trek The Next Generation, his military-driven Galactica is utterly uncompromising."
- The second part of an article on non-Headquarters missions in To Boldly Go has been posted at Decipher.
- Diamond Select will release an exclusive two-pack featuring Riker and Troi in their Star Trek Nemesis costumes, according to Action-Figure.
- "Google and CBS release embarrassment of a video store," complains the UK's The Register. "Google has done nothing to celebrate its unique access to shows such as CSI, Survivor and Star Trek. Instead, the company has buried CBS's shows beneath a dismal interface wrapped in a shambles of a delivery mechanism."
- Soul of Star Trek has a new entry on the character arcs of Spock, Kirk and Picard and the overall arc of the Star Trek saga.
- TrekCore has posted new screen caps from Deep Space Nine's "Life Support."
- The band Winterpills has a lead singer and guitarist who once sold a screenplay to Star Trek: The Next Generation for an episode that never aired, claims Paste.
- Convention news: Nana Visitor (Kira) and Arlene Martel (T'Pring) will headline Australia's 40th anniversary Austrek convention. Thanks to The Nana Visitor Messageboard.
- On May 13th, the Monday after Creation's annual Grand Slam convention in Los Angeles, Richard Arnold will host a bus tour of Los Angeles to Star Trek-related locations including the Donald C. Tillman Water Reclamation Plant (Starfleet Academy).
- In addition, Brent Spiner (Data) has been added to the Grand Slam XIV lineup March 10-12th.
- And Sev Trek wonders what humanity did to deserve destruction at the hands of the Q.
Find more episode info in the Episode Guide.